Lunchroom, segregation, 5 year-old

Started by ajasfolks2, September 24, 2014, 04:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajasfolks2

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

daisy madness

I think the mother is doing an excellent job of articulating her concerns.  I'm going to try to burn these phrases into my brain. 

Quote"I talked to the principal at the school and was not given any alternative that might help my son feel like he is a part of the group rather than singled out," she said.

She said she hoped her suggestions would be received with "more openness."

"Parents and educators are supposed to be partners in every student's development.
I am disappointed we are starting off our school experience with a situation that has many positive solutions that aren't being considered,"

And, ugh, about the comments.  I applaud those who are brave enough to go to the media.  I am not. 

ajasfolks2

Though the backlash sometimes when one goes to the media then actually can hurt the cause.

So hard to know what will work or not and how it will all go in the end.

It should just not be this hard to have a child included and assured that he/she is welcome and part of the community.

I need to go hug my big son now -- age 15 1/2 -- because I can still hear his young, sweet voice and see the pain in his face as he would tell me, "But mom, all I want is to be a part of things and to belong." -- when he was just 5, 6, 7 . . .

~~

(Time for me to get more of that old Inclusion thread over here . . . )

hedgehog

I think I need to say, once again, how happy I have been with our schools.  At least elementary (I have some non- allergy issues with MS and HS).  But they were always wonderful to DS, and listened to everything I had to say as well.  Maybe that is part if the reason I still sub there after all these years.  I truly care for those who truly cared for my DS.
USA

ajasfolks2

From Brown v. Board of Education:

"Separate educational facilities are inherently unequal.  This inherent inequality stems from the stigma created by purposeful segregation which generates a feeling of inferiority that may affect their hearts and minds in a way unlikely ever to be undone."    Chief Justice Earl Warren, May 17, 1954 

Saw this quote in nice blog that Links introduced us to in another thread (thanks, Links, again!).

Here is the blog post where above quote was used:

http://hawkeblog.com/2014/07/01/43-community-accountability/

lakeswimr

She might ask them to make a 'peanut table' so the kids with pb/peanuts have to eat in a special place and everyone else can sit together.  Some schools do that. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview