Hidden Danger In Health Food

Started by LisaFromAustralia, October 20, 2014, 05:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LisaFromAustralia

I realise this is probably in the wrong area but I thought so important that I should post on the main board. Those with peanut allergies should be careful of Lupin/Lupine flour as it has the same protein as peanuts.  This news item was on TV in Australia last night.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/25302726/allergy-warning-hidden-danger-in-health-foods/?cmp=fb

CMdeux

YES!!!!  Those of us here in N. America are frequently very unaware of this risk-- which is acute in France and Belgium, where Lupine flour is a common additive in artisanal bakery goods.

The two proteins are highly cross-reactive-- far more so than any other single tree nut is with peanut, in fact.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

YouKnowWho

I see lupine flour showing up more and more in gluten free products from Europe (Scharr brand comes to mind). 

We do have it in the house but my peanut allergic child knows that Scharr products are for my MIL and DS1 (and that has more to do with cost and difficulty to find those products).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

PurpleCat

Thanks for raising this flag.  We are not gluten free but I do bake and cook gluten free meals for a friend (just did for lunch yesterday!)  I'm sure it is just a matter of time for this flour to show up in US ingredients.  I'll have to watch so I don't contaminate my kitchen and cause DD to have a reaction!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview