FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: DS had a reaction  (Read 4852 times)

Description:

Offline GingerPye

DS had a reaction
« on: November 16, 2014, 10:12:54 AM »
DS attended a school event at a state university this weekend.  Both DD and DS have attended this event for years now, and the dietary director has always been great to work with.  No problems until this year. 

The food prep staff saw "food allergy" on DS's note for his meal, and assumed he needed the gluten-free tortilla.  The GF tortilla had egg in it. 

Ten minutes after he ate, it was obvious he was having a reaction.  TG his teachers were right there with him.  I'm so proud of DS -- he gave himself the epi for the first time.  (weird thing to be proud of, isn't it)  Teacher called 911 and then went with him to the hospital. 

He had a lot of vomiting, both before and after the epi, and his teacher told me more than once that DS was very disoriented.  The vomiting is a typical reaction for my kids, but not the disorientation.  That symptom was scary.

DH and I drove up in a hurry, although it was a 2.5 hr drive.  Extra "fun" was the snowstorm we drove into.  DS was fine and sleeping by the time we got there.  I hugged his teacher so hard ...... she was terrific and did all the right things.  She kept me updated by phone as we made the drive up there. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: DS had a reaction
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 10:37:30 AM »
How scary.  How's he doing now?

Glad to see the teacher did a great job

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 10:41:58 AM »
He is fine now; sleeping.  He slept much of the way home last night. 

I've had a rather lengthy apology email from the dining director.  I feel bad for her; she always has done such a good job for us.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 10:45:22 AM »
So sorry to read this, but glad he's doing OK.  Good to know birth he and his teacher knew what to do.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 10:47:56 AM »
Oh my Ginger.  I'm so glad he is ok.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 10:59:32 AM »
Oh no, how scary to be so far away! I would've been an absolute mess. So glad they handled it well and he is ok.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 11:02:29 AM »
ummm yeah, I was a mess.  Sick with worry on the way up there.  So glad I have a new smartphone and was able to stay updated with his teacher.  I also kept busy with texting a friend from here,  :thumbsup:   The support was great.  Helped keep me from going over the edge, LOL. 
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 11:04:58 AM »
 :grouphug:

It is amazing how outside support can be - I found that out this week. 

I hope he is feeling better soon!
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

TT

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 11:32:55 AM »
GP, I am so sorry that he both anaphylaxed and it was due to that stupid assumption people have that allergy means gluten free lifestyle.  I'm just glad he's okay.  I get this a lot with my kids they assume that my peanut allergic child can be cured by a gluten free diet.  It makes education efforts and disclosing for food service requests nearly impossible.

Awesome teacher.   :thumbsup:

MFA, I'm tellin' ya.

Online my3guys

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 12:11:21 PM »
 :grouphug: :grouphug: So glad he's ok!! And kudos to him for giving himself the epi! I would've been a basket case on that ride.

What is it with this group and reactions lately?! There's been a number of them!

I've run into that issue with the rolls too.  When I say egg allergy, multiple restaurants go to offer me the gluten free rolls, which will almost always contain egg!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 12:46:48 PM »
OMG GP, your poor DS!  And poor you!  Thank heaven he is OK, and no, it's not strange to be proud of him for giving himself the epi.  It's quite worthy of being proud.  :yes:  He did great, and thankfully his teacher was sensitive enough to your needs to keep you informed.  How we ever survived pre-cell phone is beyond me.

Just thinking of you racing in the car made me cry.  This stuff is terrifying. 

What is it with this group and reactions lately?! There's been a number of them!

I had the same thought, my3  - it was my second thought, once I knew he was OK.  It really is strange, don't you think?  We aren't even into the holiday season!  :-X
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »
I hope he is feeling better today!  I could not put my phone down.  felt like I was on the ride with you.   :grouphug:

How are you today, GP? 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »
GP, I'm so glad that your ds is ok.  Although a mistake was made giving him the tortilla, your ds & the teacher handled things so well.

:grouphug:

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 01:18:47 PM »
Oh my, what an awful mistake. Thank goodness he is ok.

Kudos to ds and the teacher for handling it so well. It sounds like you also did great. Traveling there must have seemed like an eternity.

I also was wondering what is going on lately the there have been so many reactions. Geesh, enough!

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 01:20:35 PM »
So very glad for a good outcome.  What a fantastic teacher!  What a long ride in the car for you and your DH.  Disorientation has happened to DD depending on the allergen that sparks the reaction.