login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: student in coma from peanut reaction  (Read 4876 times)

Description:

Offline PurpleCat

Re: student in coma from peanut reaction
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 08:10:57 AM »
 :-[

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 10:49:10 AM »
Its heart breaking.  I had to re-read to make myself actually comprehend it was two people with almost identical stories. 

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »
Wow, two identical tragedies.  So terribly sad.  We'll be keeping their families and friends in our prayers.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Bunny

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
One of the news stories says that he was bullied for 12 years in school because other parents were mad about restrictions on bringing peanuts to school.  He was also called "Peanut Boy."  If you scroll down to comments, there is chatter from other students saying that his mom was a pain in the a** and threatened to sue other parents, etc.  Yeah, right.  I bet the mom was fed up with the bullying. 

And it amazes me that people would go on to a news story of the boy's death to rant about what a bee-yotch his mom was about his allergies and keeping him safe at school.  What's the matter -- isn't the kid's death (and his parents' pain) enough for you?  Or is this just the last chance you'll have to pile on and gripe about how you didn't get to bring birthday treats to your homeroom at school?  Geez.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »
OMG Bunny.  That is just beyond the beyond.  I have no words.  Again.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »
I saw that, too, Bunny.

My own college student has opted to use this story as the jumping off place on a research project for one of her classes, and I was TRULY reluctant to have her use it because the parallels are just so striking, and it (for me, anyway) is just so close to home.  On the other hand, I hope that it serves as a reminder to her-- she cannot treat this as an inconvenience to be ignored when the benefit seems great enough.  I hope that the message penetrates.  She's done some things (as a college student) that make me seriously nervous for her.

I guess I'm another of "those" moms.  Those of us in the vanguard (with kids now 15-25) really did have to be pretty aggressive to get even basic accommodations.  If we could, I mean.  Which is how my DD wound up being educated at home.   :pout:  At least nobody had to be "bothered" with her safety, I guess.  ~)  Sheesh.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

TT

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 01:18:30 AM »
Yes, the posthumous disability harassment.  Saw that.  I must say it's a full standard deviation of inhumane beyond garden variety Darwin keyboard warriors.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 06:53:55 AM »
That on-line harassment has continued for the families of teens who committed suicide too.

Sometimes people are just sick.