Ricotta

Started by SilverLining, December 17, 2014, 09:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverLining

I bought a small tub of ricotta.  I used to use it in lasagna, but I don't make that anymore.  But, it was on sale and I bought a small tub assuming I would find a use for it.  So far, I have not.

So, what do you use ricotta for?

Macabre

Spinach ricotta pie. Made some two nights ago.

Stuffed shells

Veggie lasagne for Christmas Eve (cream sauce, no-boil lasagne noodles, spinach, other veggies--not tomato based)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

becca

Cannoli!

May I ask why you do not make lasagna anymore?  I typically use if for that or stuffed shells.  I also do a lazy lasagna, with rotini noodles and sauce and cheeses all mixed in a casserole style presentation.  Oh, you can add meat to the sauce as well. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

becca

McC the cream sauce veggie based lasagna sounds good.  My dh does not like a cream sauce so I could never make it.  Nevermind that the kids will not eat any of the above.  :(
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

SilverLining

Quote from: becca on December 17, 2014, 10:51:04 AM
Cannoli!

May I ask why you do not make lasagna anymore?  I typically use if for that or stuffed shells.  I also do a lazy lasagna, with rotini noodles and sauce and cheeses all mixed in a casserole style presentation.  Oh, you can add meat to the sauce as well.

We've found a safe brand that we all like. It's cheaper to buy than to make.

nameless

this --- was pretty darn awesome

adapted from http://shaunasever.com/2011/09/bacon-and-caramelized-onion-tart.html#more which is adapted from Cara Eisenpress and Phoebe Lapine's In the Small Kitchen

1 9-12 inch pie crust -- whatever will fit your tart pan
2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter and/or olive oil
3 medium yellow onions, peeled and sliced into thin half moons
2-3 cloves roasted garlic
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
Kosher salt and black pepper
3-4 slices crispy bacon, chopped into 1/2" pieces
1.5 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
1 egg yolk
1 egg
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
6TB finely grated Parmesan cheese (from the deli section, not the canister)

The better your ingredients, the better and more awesome the tart. Use a nice smooth ricotta (not grainy, some brands are grainy) and use a good fresh grated parmesan from the cheese section and not the Krapft in the canister.  Fresh thyme is a must.

1. Caramelize your onions nice and slow to awesomeness in butter or olive oil or a combo of the both. I like olive oil better. If you don't know how to caramelize the onions, go look it up...I mean...you are online right now reading this. It takes time...I did mine for an hour over ML heat. Set aside.
2. Cook yer bacon and chop into 1/2" or so chunks.  Set aside.
3. Mix the onions with the roasted garlic. If you roast your own garlic, smash it up and just mix with a spoon so it mingles well with the onions. If it's roasted from a jar and diced, use a heaping tsp or more and mix in.
4. Mix in the thyme to the onion/garlic jam you just made.
5. Pre-heat oven to 400F and pre-bake the crust for 10 minutes. Prick holes in the bottom so it doesn't bubble up or use pie weights and foil.
6. Mix the ricotta with the egg yolk/egg, parmesan, salt, pepper. Toss half the onions in and mix.
7. Spread the ricotta out on the par-baked shell. Top with remaining onions and bacon.
8. Bake until the ricotta is set --- about 30-40 minutes. I had a hard time telling so I just kept poking at the middle with a knife to decide. Make sure it is at least 165F though! You might need to cover the top loosely with foil 20 minutes in. The bacon/onions could get a little bit too crispy.

Serve warm or room temp.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

SilverLining

nameless

the hardest part was waiting an hour for the onions to caramelize. That was super simple though too. Med-low heat with butter & olive oil. Stir every 10 minutes. AWESOMENESS ENSUES!

It was REALLY light too. Not good cold. I'd want it warmed with the crust crisped and bacon crisped on the top. So...fresh out of the oven and cooled slightly I think is the way to go.

Next time I'd double the amount of onion...only put onion in with the ricotta with the onion/bacon on top. Oh - and MORE THYME and a little more salt and pepper.
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Macabre

We make a tart like that with beets and carmelized onions--but with goat cheese.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

nameless

oh I love cheesecake made with a good ricotta - so much lighter!

Also...this...mini version in cupcake tins?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ricotta-pie-old-italian-recipe/

40+ years dealing with:
New England

hedgehog

USA

Janelle205

I've made grilled cheese with ricotta, onions, spinach, and mozzarella.  Pretty good.

YouKnowWho

DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview