FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Dec 19. 2014: Carroll Shelby brand/Wick Fowler brand chili seasoning kits (US)  (Read 3050 times)

Description: PEANUTS, ALMONDS (UPDATED INFO 12/23/14)

Offline GingerPye

Reily Foods Recalls Chili Seasoning Kits Due to Undeclared Peanut and Almond Allergens

Consumer:
1-800-535-1961
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – December 19, 2014 – New Orleans, LA – Reily Foods Co., New Orleans, announced today it is recalling certain Carroll Shelby brand and Wick Fowler brand chili seasoning kits after learning that one or more of the spice ingredients purchased from a third-party supplier contain peanut and almond allergens that are not declared on the products’ ingredient statements. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to peanuts and almonds run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.

This recall affects the following products:

Consumer UPC #   Unit Size   Item Description   Best By Date Range
0-00-72396-10000-8   4oz   Carroll Shelby Chili Mix   July 1, 2016- Nov 21, 2016
0-00-72396-10019-0   3oz   Carroll Shelby White Chicken Chili   July 1, 2016- Dec 08, 2016
0-00-71092-00069-8   3.625oz   Wick Fowler 2-Alarm Chili Kit   July 1, 2016- Dec 08, 2016
0-00-71092-00111-4   3.03oz   Wick Fowler False Alarm Chili Kit   Sept 02, 2016- Dec 02, 2016
The recalled products were distributed in retail stores nationwide.
This recall was initiated in consultation with the FDA after it was discovered that ingredients from a single supplier used in the affected products were contaminated with peanut and almond allergens. Reily Foods Co. is receiving these ingredients from other sources in anticipation of resuming production shortly.

Consumers who have purchased the recalled products are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-535-1961 between the hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm Central Standard Time or visit www.reilyfoods.comdisclaimer icon for additional information.

“For more than 100 years, Reily Foods has provided safe, high-quality food products that meet the very highest standards of food manufacturing practices,” said Steve Woullard, Director of Corporate Quality. “Since 1902, honesty, transparency and accountability have been the cornerstone of our company.”
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:22:35 AM by GingerPye »
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
I was so sad yo see that Wick Fowler chili mix affected. This is really huge. We don't use it because 1) I haven't seen it up here and 2) there's too much cumin for me--it kills my stomach. But we used to get Wick Fowler a lot in Texas. It is quite widely used there.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GingerPye

UPDATED INFO:  (although I cannot see a difference from the original info -- not sure what is updated here)

Reily Foods Recalls Chili Seasoning Kits Due to Undeclared Peanut and Almond Allergens

Consumer:
1-800-535-1961
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – December 19, 2014 – New Orleans, LA – Reily Foods Co., New Orleans, announced today it is recalling certain Carroll Shelby brand and Wick Fowler brand chili seasoning kits after learning that one or more of the spice ingredients purchased from a third-party supplier contain peanut and almond allergens that are not declared on the products’ ingredient statements. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to peanuts and almonds run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.

This recall affects the following products:

Consumer UPC #   Unit Size   Item Description   Best By Date Range
0-00-72396-10000-8   4oz   Carroll Shelby Chili Mix   July 1, 2016- Nov 21, 2016
0-00-72396-10019-0   3oz   Carroll Shelby White Chicken Chili   July 1, 2016- Dec 08, 2016
0-00-71092-00069-8   3.625oz   Wick Fowler 2-Alarm Chili Kit   July 1, 2016- Dec 08, 2016
0-00-71092-00111-4   3.03oz   Wick Fowler False Alarm Chili Kit   Sept 02, 2016- Dec 02, 2016
The recalled products were distributed in retail stores nationwide.
This recall was initiated in consultation with the FDA after it was discovered that ingredients from a single supplier used in the affected products were contaminated with peanut and almond allergens. Reily Foods Co. is receiving these ingredients from other sources in anticipation of resuming production shortly.

Consumers who have purchased the recalled products are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-535-1961 between the hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm Central Standard Time or visit www.reilyfoods.comdisclaimer icon for additional information.

“For more than 100 years, Reily Foods has provided safe, high-quality food products that meet the very highest standards of food manufacturing practices,” said Steve Woullard, Director of Corporate Quality. “Since 1902, honesty, transparency and accountability have been the cornerstone of our company.”
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline MaryM

I am so disappointed about this  - I love to use their mix and add to it.

My Shoprite called with an automated message telling me about the recall bc their records indicated I had bought it in the past.  I almost bought it just before hearing about the recall.  I was very impressed that the store sent out the automated message!

guess

Discomforting thought: Are otherwise restaurants using same or similar third party spice suppliers?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
after learning that one or more of the spice ingredients purchased from a third-party supplier contain peanut and almond allergens that are not declared on the products’ ingredient statements

HOW?

HOW did they learn it?  Let's review.

"No illnesses" is the standard line-- and the FDA has been using it here, too, from what I can tell.

So who told them?  Schiff?  I presume so.

But how did THEY figure it out?

Was this a gross manufacturing error that they uncovered?  As in-- whoopsie, that's not cumin, it's peanut flour-- or was it something else?

Sauer names supplier as Schiff and says cumin is culprit:
http://www.cfsauer.com/wp-content/uploads/12-26-2014-Web-Recall-Statement.pdf
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.