login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Dec 26, 2014: Adams seasonings, rubs, chili powder, cumin, HEB meat products (US  (Read 8183 times)

Description: PEANUT

Offline GingerPye

Adams Flavors, Foods & Ingredients Issues Allergy Alert On Undeclared Peanut Protein In Cumin Products

Consumer:
512-359-3059
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - December 26, 2014 - Adams Flavors, Foods & Ingredients of Gonzales, Texas is voluntarily recalling cumin products because they may contain undeclared peanut proteins. We were notified by one of our third party suppliers that one of the spice ingredients purchased contains peanut proteins, allergens that are not declared on the products’ ingredient statements. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to peanuts run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.

This recall affects the following products:

Consumer UPC #   Size   Description   Best Buy Date
041313017224   2.82 oz (80g)   Adams Chili Powder-Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   9/23/2016
041313017224   2.82 oz (80g)   Adams Chili Powder-Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   10/27/2016
041313017224   2.82 oz (80g)   Adams Chili Powder-Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   10/28/2016
041313017231   7.48 oz (212g)   Adams Chili Powder-Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   10/3/2016
041313017231   7.48oz(212g)   Adams Chili Powder-Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   10/27/2016
041313019525   2.82 oz (80g)   Adams Ground Cumin- Green/Brown Fine Ground Powder in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   9/23/2016
041313019525   2.82 oz (80g)   Adams Ground Cumin- Green/Brown Fine Ground Powder in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   9/24/2016
041313019525   2.82 oz (80g)   Adams Ground Cumin- Green/Brown Fine Ground Powder in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   10/7/2016
041313019525   2.82 oz (80g)   Adams Ground Cumin- Green/Brown Fine Ground Powder in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   11/11/2016
041313019525   2.82 oz (80g)   Adams Ground Cumin- Green/Brown Fine Ground Powder in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   12/5/2016
041313019532   6.70 OZ (190g)   Adams Ground Cumin- Green/Brown Fine Ground Powder in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   11/7/2016
041313019532   6.70 OZ (190g)   Adams Ground Cumin- Green/Brown Fine Ground Powder in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   12/18/2016
041313023126   16 oz (454g)   Adams Ground Cumin- Green/Brown Fine Ground Powder in Clear Rectangular Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   8/26/2016
041313023522   16.82 oz (477g)   Adams Chili Powder-Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Rectangular Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   10/7/2016
041313023522   16.82 oz (477g)   Adams Chili Powder-Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Rectangular Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   10/8/2016
041313023522   16.82 oz (477g)   Adams Chili Powder-Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Rectangular Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   12/10/2016
041313023522   16.82 oz (477g)   Adams Chili Powder-Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Rectangular Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   12/11/2016
041313023720   18 oz (511g)   Adams Menudo Seasoning-Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Rectangular Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   10/22/2016
041313023812   5.26 oz (149g)   Adams Jamaican Jerk Seasoning-Yellow Ground Seasoning Blend with Dark Specks in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   10/16/2016
041313024338   13.47 oz (382g)   Adams Brisket Rub- Reddish Orange Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   9/30/2016
041313024345   32 oz (908g)   Adams Brisket Rub- Reddish Orange Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Rectangular Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   9/30/2016
041313024888   39 oz (1115g)   Adams Multi Seasoning-Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Rectangular Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   8/28/2016
041313024888   30 oz (851.25g)   Adams Multi Seasoning-Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Rectangular Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   9/30/2016
041313026219   3.03 oz (86g)   Adams Pinto Bean Seasoning- Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap   10/27/2016
041313045746   4.79 oz (136g)   Adams Reserve Southwestern Rub- Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Square Glass Bottle with Silver Cap   14288
041313045876   7.41 oz (210g)   Adams Reserve Jamaican Jerk Rub- Yellow Ground Seasoning Blend with Dark Specks in Square Glass Bottle with Silver Cap   14330
742955834612   10oz (283.5g)   Earl Campbell Rib Rub- Reddish Ground Seasoning Blend in Clear Round Plastic Bottle with Yellow Cap.   9/30/2014
See attached product labels
The recalled products were distributed nationwide in retail stores and through web orders.

No illnesses have been reported to date.

This recall was initiated after it was discovered that ingredients from a single supplier used in the affected products were contaminated with peanut allergens.

Consumers who have purchased the recalled products are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 512-359-3059 from 9 am to 4 pm CST Monday-Friday, or visit www.AdamsExtract.com for additional information.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 11:17:16 AM by Macabre »
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
There are a couple other recalls related to this one that FARE has posted:

Three additional recalls were reported that are related to this recall:

Peanut Allergy Alert: J & B Sausage Co.
J & B Sausage Co., a Dallas, Texas establishment, is recalling approximately 45,904 pounds of chicken and beef products. These products were shipped to HEB retail locations and Garland Independent School District in Texas.

Peanut Allergy Alert: HEB Meat Center
HEB Meat Center, a San Antonio, Texas establishment, is recalling approximately 83,666 pounds of pork products. These products were shipped to retail HEB stores in Texas.

Peanut Allergy Alert: Garcia Foods, Inc.
Garcia Foods, Inc., a San Antonio, Texas establishment, is recalling approximately 190,450 pounds of pork products, Hill Country Fare Chorizo. These products were shipped to retail locations in Texas. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Stinky10

So it started with taco seasoning, now I've seen chorizo and cumin recalled.   I figured I would start a thread to put any links and info on this topic.  If there is already another thread - feel free to delete! 

My cumin is from Penzy's - I will try to call them or go there tomorrow.

Moderator note: I merged this thread with Stinky's thread CUMIN Recalls. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:44:50 PM by Macabre »
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Stinky--there is a thread under recalls.  I will try to join this to that one. And from what I can tell, it's Adams, a popular Texas-based spice company  The spices have been used in a number of foods, including chorizo. It affects some chorizo made by Hill Country, sold at grocers in Texas, products made at the HEB grocery store meat counter, and food distributed to the Garland ISD (large school district adjacent to Dallas), in addition to the spices.

This is really huge.  :-/

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:40:10 PM by Macabre »

Offline Jessica

Two more recalls today (posted here already). i don't even want to imagine how far-reaching this will be in the end. :(
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
And one yesterday.  This is amazing. 

We always liked Adams when we lived in Texas. 

Well, let this be a warning to us all:
Adams Gluten (Gluten Free) and Allergen Statement

Adams produces vanillas, extracts, and flavors that are 100% gluten free. Wheat is not used in any vanilla, extract, and flavor items (corn alcohol).

Many of Adams spice products are naturally gluten free. Adams does produce items that contain wheat in the spice manufacturing facility, as well as uses equipment that processes both allergens and non-allergens.

However, Adams does follow a strict Cleaning & Sanitation Procedure, as well as Allergen Segregation Practices and Allergen Scheduling to ensure that all allergens such as wheat/gluten will not be cross-contaminated.

By using these practices, it is unlikely that cross-contamination of wheat or other allergens in unacceptable levels will occur, though it is possible.

Any “dangerous grains” used in our products are clearly labeled in the ingredient statement of our items to ensure the safety of our customers.

Oooh--dangerous grains!!

http://www.adamsextract.com/gluten.asp

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
I just listed on my FB page SIX foods affected by the Adams Flavors recall--in addition to Adams cumin products. 

I also just called favorite food source in Texas whose food we can buy in Minnesota to ask if they use Adams.  They didn't know about the recall adn are calling me back (the person wasn't sure if they use it or not). 

The information we've found is that it's Adams Flavors' supplier.  We don't know who that supplier is. Egads.   

It just occurred to me that the Wick Fowler recall is probably related (though that recall is also for almond, so maybe not).  Ooooh--the Ortega is also peanut and almond, and it says "one or more of the spice ingredients purchased from a third party supplier contain peanuts and almonds, allergens that are not declared on the products' labels."

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
I'm putting the links to the related recalls here.  I think this is going to get bigger.  It's really scary. 

Dec 29, 2014:  Tommy's Superfoods Santa Fe Rice  (US)

Dec 29 2014:  DL Jardines & Shotgun Willie's Texas Chili products (US)

Dec 30, 2014: Hausman Foods, LLC  Peanut in cumin from 3rd party supplier

In addition to these:

Three additional recalls were reported that are related to this recall:

Peanut Allergy Alert: J & B Sausage Co.
J & B Sausage Co., a Dallas, Texas establishment, is recalling approximately 45,904 pounds of chicken and beef products. These products were shipped to HEB retail locations and Garland Independent School District in Texas.

Peanut Allergy Alert: HEB Meat Center
HEB Meat Center, a San Antonio, Texas establishment, is recalling approximately 83,666 pounds of pork products. These products were shipped to retail HEB stores in Texas.

Peanut Allergy Alert: Garcia Foods, Inc.
Garcia Foods, Inc., a San Antonio, Texas establishment, is recalling approximately 190,450 pounds of pork products, Hill Country Fare Chorizo. These products were shipped to retail locations in Texas. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:11:19 PM by Macabre »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
And it's purely my and my husband's speculation, but we suspect that these two are related (at the very least they seem to be related to each other):

Dec 19. 2014:  Carroll Shelby brand/Wick Fowler brand chili seasoning kits  (US)

Oct 11 Ortega Taco Seasoning  *UPDATED 11/17/14--includes US*

Offline daisy madness

And it's purely my and my husband's speculation, but we suspect that these two are related (at the very least they seem to be related to each other):

Dec 19. 2014:  Carroll Shelby brand/Wick Fowler brand chili seasoning kits  (US)

I agree.  What a mess!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!

Agree.

Guessing that this is cumin-- which may ultimately also mean coriander in other manufacturers.   :-[

We use a LOT of cumin.  I'm definitely going to ask DH to take it easy on the stuff until this shakes out, though-- because while what we have is likely safe, I'm not so sure about anything produced in the last four months or so.   :-/  Replacement could be rough, yk?
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline YouKnowWho

And one yesterday.  This is amazing. 

We always liked Adams when we lived in Texas. 

Well, let this be a warning to us all:
Adams Gluten (Gluten Free) and Allergen Statement

Adams produces vanillas, extracts, and flavors that are 100% gluten free. Wheat is not used in any vanilla, extract, and flavor items (corn alcohol).

Many of Adams spice products are naturally gluten free. Adams does produce items that contain wheat in the spice manufacturing facility, as well as uses equipment that processes both allergens and non-allergens.

However, Adams does follow a strict Cleaning & Sanitation Procedure, as well as Allergen Segregation Practices and Allergen Scheduling to ensure that all allergens such as wheat/gluten will not be cross-contaminated.

By using these practices, it is unlikely that cross-contamination of wheat or other allergens in unacceptable levels will occur, though it is possible.

Any “dangerous grains” used in our products are clearly labeled in the ingredient statement of our items to ensure the safety of our customers.

Oooh--dangerous grains!!

http://www.adamsextract.com/gluten.asp

Yadda, yadda, yadda - you can do all that junk, spend time wasting ink, etc but all it takes is a few steps to sample said products to make sure they are gluten free.  Dang I wish GF labeling was clear and concise (not slapping labeling on products without testing).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

guess

Either this manufacturer is extremely responsible initiating a voluntary recall this large, or the contamination was so gross that lab results would drive it under unlabeled ingredient.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
I'm thinking it may have ALSO been garlic powder  as Xcontam source too?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:31:55 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Linking to new recall -- could be related:
January 2, 2015 Zilks Hummus Undeclared Peanuts
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!