FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Peanut: Cumin Recall (The Big Thread)  (Read 53730 times)

Description:

Offline spacecanada

Re: Peanut: Cumin Recall (The Big Thread)
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2015, 03:36:02 PM »
I wondered this myself, especially with a trip coming up.  One would think they would re-issue a recall if it was still problematic after a certain period of time (6 or 12 months?)  Though, I think part of the recall shone light on just how easy it was for imported spices to be contaminated.  So maybe that's reason enough to avoid for long-term? 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2015, 07:53:50 AM »
My concern is that they were talking about selling cumin by the ton.  That's a lot of cumin.  How much of that got through before the recall?  How long will that amount of cumin be in our food supply?

IDK. 

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2015, 09:32:07 AM »
Right.  Just think of long a container of cumin might sit unused on your pantry shelf.  Then think of all that cumin, tons of it, sitting in warehouses, supply rooms, etc.  I think it will just gradually grow less and less likely that any particular cumin was from the recall period, but there will not be a clear time when it is all gone.
USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2015, 04:38:56 PM »
Exactly, Hedgie-- I think that based on the aromatic components of cumin, and what I have observed of its realistic shelf-life, we probably still need to avoid it (other than, as NR and others note-- McCormick, for knowing their stuff there) for another 12-18 months.

I don't have worries about it now in eating out-- but for consumer purchase, particularly in BLENDS or prepared foods-- absolutely.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2016, 08:57:20 AM »
Best Foods Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Peanuts in Deer Brand Cumin Powder 7 Ounce and Deer Brand Cumin Powder 14 Ounce

For Immediate Release
February 22, 2016
Contact
Consumers

Abdul Paracha
 1-732-650-1300 Ext 222
Announcement
Best Foods Inc. 30 Saw Mill Pond Rd,. Edison, NJ is recalling its 7 ounce packages and 14 oz. packages of Deer brand Cumin Powder because they may contain undeclared peanuts. People who have allergies to peanuts run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.
The recalled packages of Deer brand Cumin Powder were distributed in NY, CT, NJ, MA, PA, DE and VA and have reached consumers through retail stores.

The product comes in a clear and yellow plastic package, with no expiration dates and lots number. 7 ounce packages are marked with UPC number 714760027497and the 14 ounce packages are marked with UPC number 714760027503.

No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this problem.

The recall was initiated after routine sampling and analysis by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets who found the product to contain peanuts which were not declared on the label.

Consumers who have purchased 7 ounce and 14 ounce packages of Deer brand Cumin Powder are urged to return them to the place of purchase for full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-732-650-1300 Ext 222, Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. EST
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
Oh man--- again?!!

I am seriously hoping that this is still fallout from the original adulteration.   :-/
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2016, 11:54:40 AM »
I'm thinking it's still rather than again.  >:(  I'm really hoping they're just distributing older batches of the contaminated ground cumin, but shouldn't that have been removed already?  Unfortunately, I suspect that whoever adulterated it in the first place will continue to do so.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2016, 01:26:44 PM »
Saw that on Facebook this morning and was so pleased to get some current information.  We are still cautious depending on the type of restaurant we eat at. 

I still don't trust cumin at the mexican restaurant we sometimes eat at... That woman makes DD food she personally cooks from scratch.  Anything they buy seasoned that includes cumin she will not serve DD.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2016, 07:24:22 PM »
Wow. This is so good to know. Thank you!

We've had no closure on this. This is so helpful.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts