FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Peanut: Cumin Recall (The Big Thread)  (Read 53725 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Peanut: Cumin Recall (The Big Thread)
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:07:28 AM »
I thought while we continue to post individual recalls related to this, it is important to have one place to 1) list all the related threads and 2) discuss this.

Let's link to all related threads in this post. Moderators, please feel free to edit this post so we can keep all related thread links in one place that is very easy to see.  Then we can discuss in posts below.

I'm listing the Adams one first, even though it was not the first.  I had some info in it that is relevant to the others.

Dec 26, 2014: Adams seasonings, rubs, chili powder, cumin, HEB meat products (US

Dec 19. 2014:  Carroll Shelby brand/Wick Fowler brand chili seasoning kits  (US)

Dec 26, 2014: Adams seasonings, rubs, chili powder, cumin, HEB meat products (US

Dec 29 2014:  DL Jardines & Shotgun Willie's Texas Chili products (US)

Dec 29, 2014:  Tommy's Superfoods Santa Fe Rice  (US)

Dec 30, 2014: Hausman Foods, LLC  Peanut in cumin from 3rd party supplier

Dec 31 2014:  Adams "Private Selection" two chipotle-flavored bread crumbs  (US)

January 2, 2015 Zilks Hummus Undeclared Peanuts

Jan 9: Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean Burgers & Chipotle Black Bean Burger

Jan 9, 2015:  Peanut: Shirk's Meats Smoked Pork Andouille Sausage

Jan 9, 2015: Taj Ethnic Gourmet Sauces

Jan 9, 2015: Con Yeager Spice Company Ground Cumin and Seasoning Blends

Possibly this:  Oct 11 Ortega Taco Seasoning  *UPDATED 11/17/14--includes US*

Jan 12, 2015:  Spice N'More various cumin powders  (US)

Jan 12, 2015:  Zenobia Company MY Spice Sage Cumin Ground  (US)

Jan. 12, 2015: US Foods

Jan 13 2015:  Condies Bold & Zesty salsa; Dr. J's mild & medium salsas  (US/UT)

Jan 14, 2015:  NAC Foods "Mimi's Products" & "Rosa Maria" Ground Cumin (US)

Jan 16, 2015: Garden Lites

Jan 16, 2015: Franklin Farms Chili-Bean Veggiburgers

Jan 16, 2015:  Heywood’s Meat Haus & Provision Co. Pork shoulder products

Jan 16, 2015: Aaron’s Best Gluten Free Beef Franks Hot & Spicy Chipotle

Jan 16, 2015: Buffalo Provisions Chorizo Products

Jan 16, 2015: Kabob’s brand beef and chicken products

The current Active USDA RECALLS feed re: recalls-- currently, it's almost entirely about this cumin recall, but this list is not peanut-specific, if that makes sense:

USDA 2015 Recalls
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:33:04 PM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Peanut: Cumin Recall (The Big Thread)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »
This is so, so scary.  It's getting bigger, just as we feared. 

I'd like to tease things out.  It seems to me that there are three US suppliers of the cumin. I think Adams and Schiff are separate.  I could be wrong about that, though. 

Schiff Foods
Schiff Foods Products Co., Inc.
994 Riverview Drive
Totowa, NJ 07512
Phone # (973) 237-1990
Fax #      (973) 237-1999
Email: Sales@schifffood.com

Adams Extract
Adams Extract & Spice LLCDirections
Address: 3217 Johnson Road, Gonzales, TX 78629
Phone:(830) 672-1850     (512) 359-3035

Con Yeager Spice Company
144 Magill Rd
Zelienople, PA 16063
(800) 222-2460
For a full listing of Con Yeager products affected, including some which have individual threads here, see the  exhaustive table on the FDA website: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm429688.htm

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 10:32:55 AM »
In my opinion, Adams and Schiff need to do exactly what Con Yeager has done.  And we need to demand it.  We need to know everyone that has bought their cumin.  Everyone. 

My assumption is that Adams, Schiff and Con Yeager imported the spice from a common source.  Or maybe Adams did not import it but got it from Schiff. 

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 10:45:36 AM »
We just used the taco seasoning this week.  And I use the Wick Fowler's chili as a starting point for mine as well.  However, dd does not eat thee things.  She has decided she does not like taco flavoring.  so, she has something else.  Thank goodness. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:47:35 AM »
I am behind on the details of this.  Have there been reactions associated with this?  Other than the two items I mentioned above, which dd does not eat, we do not use the listed brands that I have seen.  But, on principle, I would jump onto any petition or movement to better resolve this.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 11:05:55 AM »
This is so, so scary.  It's getting bigger, just as we feared. 

I'd like to tease things out.  It seems to me that there are three US suppliers of the cumin. I think Adams and Schiff are separate.  I could be wrong about that, though. 

Schiff Foods
Schiff Foods Products Co., Inc.
994 Riverview Drive
Totowa, NJ 07512
Phone # (973) 237-1990
Fax #      (973) 237-1999
Email: Sales@schifffood.com

Adams Extract
Adams Extract & Spice LLCDirections
Address: 3217 Johnson Road, Gonzales, TX 78629
Phone:(830) 672-1850     (512) 359-3035

Con Yeager Spice Company
144 Magill Rd
Zelienople, PA 16063
(800) 222-2460
For a full listing of Con Yeager products affected, including some which have individual threads here, see the  exhaustive table on the FDA website: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm429688.htm

Adams hasn't named their third-party supplier/wholesaler. 

Con Yeager has-- it's Golombeck.

I'm guessing that Golombeck and Schiff are at roughly the same level on the supply chain-- so that probably means an imported primary supplier behind both.

I would love to believe that this is a single unscrupulous Latin American (probably) supplier of cumin who is "cutting" the product-- in the same exact way that melamine was used as an 'additive/filler' a few years ago in China.

Because the alternative is that it's common practice from a supply region.  {shudders}

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 11:38:11 AM »
Oh that's right.  I even highlighted Golombeck in the Con Yeager thread, but I've been a bit mystified by all of this.  Ugh.

Becca---there have been no reactions reported. 

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 12:13:26 PM »
I called Penzy's on Thursday, haven't heard back.  The person I spoke with took notes and was very serious.  I will go in there in next week if I don't hear something soon.  My office is right around the corner from their Pike Place store.
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 12:31:38 PM »
Thanks Stinky!

I will add that it will be important for this thread to be accurate. I may go back and correct an earlier post of mine so that the facts are straight here. There is so much of not-enough-facts going around that at least here we should be Ll about correct info. :yes:

Offline Jessica

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 02:19:16 PM »
I called Penzy's on Thursday, haven't heard back.  The person I spoke with took notes and was very serious.  I will go in there in next week if I don't hear something soon.  My office is right around the corner from their Pike Place store.
thanks-I'll be watching for the update. I don't think I need to order cumin just yet but still want to know (and I might use some mixes from there that have it. dang).
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Irene

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 03:19:18 PM »
THANK YOU for this!  It is very helpful.  Once a product is recalled, will it be removed immediately from retail stores?  What's awful is not knowing what other products could be contaminated but have not been recalled yet.  I'm wondering what kinds of precautions to take...avoid all products with 'Spices' listed as an ingredient?  Could this affect restaurant foods as well?

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 04:15:56 PM »
Just got a call from Costco asking us to return the contaminated Morningstar black bean patties we had bought. Too bad there aren't any left  :-/. Good thing DH was the only one who ate any of them!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 05:02:18 PM »
THANK YOU for this!  It is very helpful.  Once a product is recalled, will it be removed immediately from retail stores?  What's awful is not knowing what other products could be contaminated but have not been recalled yet.  I'm wondering what kinds of precautions to take...avoid all products with 'Spices' listed as an ingredient?  Could this affect restaurant foods as well?

Most stores note recalls within computer system so that if you pick up an item not pulled from the store, the machine will let them know it is not okay to sell - Publix, Kroger, and Ingles have done this to me.  Even had an item at Dollar Tree once that would not scan which apparently means it was recalled but they had not pulled it yet (CPSC recall for lead). 

This is also where using a keycard with information actually linked to you (like Kroger's card for sales prices and lowered gas prices) is helpful because you will receive a call generally letting you know you have purchased a contaminated item.

DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 05:02:52 PM »

That is an EMPHATIC yes. 

I have not yet contacted Chipotle, Taco Bell, or Qdoba re: their supply chain safety, but... it's got to go on the list, I think.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 05:04:13 PM »
FYI - Cumin to the best of my knowledge does not need to be listed separate, it will fall under spice in an ingredient list.  Something to keep in mind in purchasing for the next few months :disappointed:
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA