Walnut Allergy

Started by Penny, May 22, 2012, 09:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny

My brother has had several allergic reactions to walnuts, which make his lips and tongue swell.  He hasn't been to an allergist - says he doesn't need an epi-pen and doesn't read ingredients on the majority of foods. 

Does anyone here have a good link to a list for food that may contain walnuts?  I'm hoping that after his last reaction (salad dressing in a restaurant which was probably walnut oil based)  that he might actually read the list and be more careful.   ~)

Thanks

gufyduck

I haven't seen a printed list, but walnuts are one of my worst allergens, but I am allergic to other tree nuts as well so I avoid all tree nuts.  Things that are most likely to contain walunts (from my eperience)

• Breads, especially the more *healthy* varieties
  • bakery products (carrot cake, brownies, maybe some danishes)
  • Salads
  • salad dressings
  • energy bars (not sure if specifically walnuts, but i avoid)

starlight

I've noticed a lot of walnut pestos in restaurants lately instead of pine nuts.

CMdeux

desserts (especially E. European or northern Mediterranean), salads/dressings (in ANY restaurant setting, confirm that the salad does NOT include walnuts), 'crusted' items (steak, seafood, etc.) and restaurant pastas.

DH is allergic to walnuts.  He does find that they aren't that difficult to avoid if he stays away from the list I gave.  One other thing to be careful of (more for women than men) is that some exfoliating scrubs contain walnut shells. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

ajasfolks2

Those ScotchBrite 3M sponges (the "green" ones -- ) -- think they are walnut shell based?  (ETA -- I read some posts elsewhere online that this is a USED TO BE and now not true?  Would need to re-verify . . . )

Also, this (new to me anyway) offering at McDonald's suprised me the other day:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/product_nutrition.breakfast.882.blueberry-banana-nut-oatmeal.html

No clue if the walnuts are in the little single packages?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

mkobhu2

My suggestion would be to have him avoid all Tree nuts in general just to be safe, other than that i would suggest that the next time he goes shopping for groceries have him read every lable he comes in contact with soon enough he'll have an extensive list of safe foods that he can enjoy.  and i'd have him pocket one of these

http://www.allergyfacts.org.au/PDF/TREE%20NUT.pdf

Janelle205

Walnut shells are sometimes used for reptile substrate as well.

hedgehog

Ajas, yes those sponges used to be walnut shell-based.  THey promptly took them off the market (possibly because of so many letters about allergies?).  They then replaced them with sponges made from some other plant product (I don't remember what, but that it was something our family is not concerned about, and not a top 8 allergen).
USA

Penny

Many thanks!  I'm going to compile a list and send it to him.  The guy is in his mid-50's....you'd think he wouldn't be so dumb.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview