Safe Curry?

Started by GoingNuts, August 01, 2013, 08:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoingNuts

I'm sure this is waaaay too much to ask, but...

Does anyone know of a safe Thai-style red curry?  I had such an amazing meal last night,? I'd like to try to duplicate it at home.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

twinturbo

Mae Ploy is a good mass market Thai brand. Most that are for the USA market are going to probably be rebranded Thai country of origin products. Squid brand is a good fish sauce. Again, any other US brand is probably going to be of foreign origin with an importer's brand label like Eden Foods or Edward & Sons.

If you can alter your taste expectations a bit to Indian style curries Maya Kaimal brand is of Candian origin and labels for shared lines last I used it. Then you get into where do they source their curry spice blends, coconut milk, etc.

I'd personally go for the Mae Ploy curry paste and Squid brand fish sauce because they are such huge brands it's likely due to sheer volume odds are on your side. Unless Mae Ploy makes a peanut sauce which they could. My bigger concern would be crustaceans if that's a problem.

ETA: The other thought, GN is to make your own. The big flavors there are chilies, glanagal I think, lemongrass, probably garlic. Most of the recipes will tell you to food process. Now, that's one way but to really get the harmonized flavors in a paste pounding is a better method. That's going to be the bigger decision for DIY, you can alter the ingredients because there's no one master sauce even if there are signature ingredients, but you'll have to decide food process or mortar & pestle.

Whatever base curry paste you use make sure you pan fry it in a little coconut cream to warm up the spice flavors before adding the rest of the wet ingredients.

Macabre

We use a couple of the Penzey's curry powders.

The only sesame they have is in their soup lines. Their dried soup is processed on the same lines as sesame, but their spices are not.

And DS eats them just fine.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GoingNuts

Thanks to both of you. This dish was so good I'll be dreaming about it until I have it again.

Grilled chicken, lots of veggies poached in a light broth of curry, lemongrass and a touch of coconut milk.  Divine. Perfect blend of sweet (not very) and hot.

Mmmmmm.
N.E. US

twinturbo

How'd you do the lemongrass for those of us who always get bested by lemongrass? I'm guessing I throw away too much because I don't know how to work with it. I can't do the tappy thing with the back of a blade. Tips?

Macabre

I'll ask DH.

You know, DS added some lemongrass to a black bean dip he took to a party last week. It was amazing.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GoingNuts

I've never cooked with it. I just enjoy it when we go out.  :hiding:
N.E. US

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview