Switching to auvi-q--questions about carrying

Started by BensMom, March 24, 2014, 04:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMdeux

Quote from: BensMom on March 25, 2014, 09:29:01 AM
Ooh, that allergy powder looks good. I'm going to order some and see how big it is. Hard to tell from the picture and there's not a good description.

Let me know-- we're eventually going to have the same problem as Mac's family.  Sadly, we've never really had a time when we felt comfortable leaving diphenhydramine out of the picture.  It gives DD a way to choose something between "do nothing" and "call 911" anyway. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

PurpleCat

What about carrying fast melts?  That's what DD carries and they don't take up much space.

CMdeux

I guess I quit looking for those when I couldn't find them a year ago.  Are they back on the market now?

Western U.S.

twinturbo

I've seen the packets at Staples. It's the dimensions of a sealed tea bag envelope but flatter. Strange, because the longer sachet tube format seems like it would work better.

I have fast melts from Walmart and Target, but I trucked them from out East. It should be available nationally though I would think.

chase

My son is a college freshman.  He wears a bracelet and carries the Auvi-Q  in his front pocket.

BensMom

Quote from: PurpleCat on March 25, 2014, 12:47:12 PM
What about carrying fast melts?  That's what DD carries and they don't take up much space.

DS used to carry these, but I couldn't find them anymore and they get squashed and disintegrate into powder, which would get all over if you tried to open them.

Thanks Chase. I'm not sure if ds would be willing to wear a bracelet. And it occurs to me that if he were passed out in college, college kids wouldn't look for a bracelet, would assume drunk and wouldn't bother calling for help. So I'm not sure how helpful it would be. Can't hurt though.

rebekahc

Quote from: BensMom on March 25, 2014, 09:29:01 AM
Ooh, that allergy powder looks good. I'm going to order some and see how big it is. Hard to tell from the picture and there's not a good description.

Their website says credit card sized.  Great find - a few should easily fit into a wallet!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

BensMom

Got the allergy stuff today. It is credit card size and quite flat. There's an extra tab on it (that makes it bigger than a credit card). It says to fold the tab over (it's perforated) and store in purse or wallet. I'm not sure if there's any reason not to just tear the tag off. There's also a little perforation lengthwise along the side with a notch in it--you fold that over and tear at the notch to open it. Looks good. I gave ds 4 to put in his wallet. I think I remember being told to basically double the dose of benadryl for an allergic reaction--so 100 mg (4 tablets, packets, pills) vs. 50mg (2 pills).  I'm thinking 3 is probably good--4 might be a bit much. What do you guys do for dosage?

Macabre

50 Mg for reaction. Even that made him tired a few weeks ago when he had a reaction. If he really needs more than that, he's getting the Epi.

And I need him conscious during a reaction, yk?

Thank you for posting about these packets I'll order some.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

momma2boys

peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

CMdeux

Yes, 50mg.

Also-- we like for this to be grab-and-go for day trips pretty much anywhere, so that DD (and I) don't even have to think about it-- that said, I always carry at least another 25mg (which is enough to deal with a persistent environmental or low-grade reaction over a period of hours-- or to not leave you completely without anything if you forget to replenish it).

Then again, DD is only a bit over 100lb, so she gets more mileage out of smaller doses.  Realistically, I've only given her a full 50mg twice in the past 5 years.  Mostly she gets ~35 since I give her three 'kid-sized' doses.  Have to think about whether or not she should do a full 50 in the event of a reaction.  Thinking probably not.

Western U.S.

twinturbo

I fluctuate between 113-120. My docs say 50 mg max I've taken it but not quite all at once. It was definitely nap time. IMMV.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview