Switching to auvi-q--questions about carrying

Started by BensMom, March 24, 2014, 04:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BensMom

I searched, but didn't quite see this addressed.

Currently, ds carries 2 epis in a allergypack like this (if this works):

He carries his epis, inhaler and some benadryl capsules in there. It hooks onto his belt loop. This is all good because:

• It's visible
  • it holds his inhaler and benadryl as well as his epi
  • he won't accidentally put it through the wash (i.e. it's not in his pocket)

For those who use auvi-qs, do you (or your child) carry benadryl as well? What about an inhaler? How is it all carried (for boys)?

DS does not have a medic-alert bracelet. I think that would solve the first issue if he were willing to wear one. I'm not sure if he is.

He normally carries his wallet, epis, and phone in his backpack at school. When he goes out somewhere, he carries his wallet and phone in his pocket and hooks on the epis. If he has to also put 2 auvi-qs in his pocket, that seems like a lot.

I looked at the spibelt some people mentioned, but I don't think he'd want to wear that.

So what do your boys do?

I see there's an allerpack that's a more square version of his epi carrier. So he could use that, but it seems like the great thing about the auvi-q is that it fits in your pocket.

Macabre

DS carries two Auvis in one front pocket and his cell in his other front pocket. You can't see them really. Sometimes I ask him to show me his Auvis because intent are not evident.

He carries his wallet in his back pocket (in NYC in his front pocket).  It has some of the last remaining Benadryl strips on the face of the planet inside.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

Oh--at school he also has his inhaler. He doesn't need it very often, so it's not something he normally carries everyday in his pants.

BensMom

Thanks. Yes those benadryl strips were great, except you need scissors to open them. I wish they still made them and were easy to open. I have these liqui-gel things for ds now. I feel like they'll absorb faster since there's liquid inside, but I have no idea. Seemed to work ok when he felt sick after eating at noodles and co.

Does your son wear a medic-alert bracelet?

DS does normally  have his inhaler with him, but usually only uses it when he has a cold and I think just morning and evening, but I'm not sure.

GoingNuts

DS carries his Auvis in his pocket.  He rarely carries his inhaler anymore.  I wish he'd use a carrier; I like the idea of it being more visible. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

momma2boys

peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Mfamom

We only carried one auvi q at school (nurse had epi pens available) and inhaler.  Kept inhaler in his back pack and auvi in pocket. 
If you do auvi, put a piece of tape over the ex date or it will wear off.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

twinturbo

I've sent an Auvi-q through the washer once when I forgot to take it out of a pocket. Although I do carry them in my pockets if at all possible I would think the carrier your son has is superior in the sense that it's dedicated in a visual and muscle memory way. When I carry them in pockets I'm good on patting myself down. I'm not always best at removing them every time to a standard location after I change at the end of the day. Mine, that is. The kids have so many in different locations.

Janelle205

You could ask the pharmacist if he could chew the liqui-gels as well.  My pharmacist has told me that I can chew the tablets if I needed to and that they would absorb faster that way.  It is NOT pleasant, but it works.

BensMom

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks Janelle.

I think I'm going to order a new carrier for him, so at least he has that option. Right now the epis are on a hook by the door--visual reminder as he walks out. Auvis could be with his wallet or phone, but frankly he doesn't always feel the need to take those with him. I have to pester him to bring his wallet if we're all going out to eat together. He doesn't need it, but he should just have it. Just take your wallet when you go out. That's what you do.

I may see if he's willing to wear a bracelet.

Macabre

DS hasn't worn a bracelet for years, but we've talked about that resuming in college--for the reason that "passed out" on a college campus may lead to a different assumption.

DS hated wearing a carrier. Really hated it. The bit dies not forget his phone. Ever. :) and he doesn't forget his wallet. And the Benadryl strips work for him while he has them. Or family honestly doesn't understand why people thought they needed scissors. We've used a LOT of them between DS and me and we've never ever had a tough time tearing them open.

That said, our next step is chewable Benadryl tabs in his wallet--2.

This is a little big.
http://www.drugstore.com/urgentrx-allergy-attack-relief-to-go-powders-raspberry/qxp455343?catid=183018

And DS covered his new AuviQs with contact paper. Because the paper wears off. 

BensMom

Ooh, that allergy powder looks good. I'm going to order some and see how big it is. Hard to tell from the picture and there's not a good description.

spacecanada

KozyEpi makes Allerject carriers, for two Allerjet plus inhaler:
http://www.kozyepi.com/category_s/142.htm

That may work, as it is similar in design to the one he already has, can be clipped or belted on, and is easily visible. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Mfamom

LOL Macabre, I had scissors in ds epi bag to open those benadryl strips!   Couldn't open them for the life of me!
We did stop carrying benadryl quite awhile back.  DS really changed in his "allergic" regard I think around age 12--13.  When he was little, he practically lived on benadryl
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

BensMom

Quote from: spacecanada on March 25, 2014, 10:10:35 AM
KozyEpi makes Allerject carriers, for two Allerjet plus inhaler:
http://www.kozyepi.com/category_s/142.htm

That may work, as it is similar in design to the one he already has, can be clipped or belted on, and is easily visible.

I am planning to order one of those so he has the option of carrying that way. I can't tell if they have a clip on hook on them. I emailed the company.

Oh, now I see that there's an option to order with a belt, carabiner or other things. The website I was looking at didn't have that--just belt size.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview