Dawn, Swiffer, Pampers, Ivory, etc.

Started by starlight, September 05, 2014, 08:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starlight

http://scratchorsniff.com/cleaning-products-containing-peanut-oil/

People are freaking out over there. I've always had a relatively high threshold, and I've used Dawn and WetJet and Ivory with no problems. I even switched to Dawn because Palmolive tends to set off eczema on my hands. Just wanted to get peoples' thoughts over here before I try to take back a gallon of Dawn I bought a few months ago and shredded the receipt.

becca

Oh, I saw that over there.  Honestly, for us, we have not paid much attention to household cleaning products, and have never had an issue with dd, but she does not particularly use the cleaning products, lol.  Being the teen sloth that she is.  For laundry soap, we all have sensetive skin and we all tolerate A&H.  Tide gave dh hives and me eczema, so I never used it for children's clothing.

Wrt diapers, we switched between Pampers and Huggies, but it was 12 to 15 years ago.  Never had issues with allergies or rashes in the diapers. 

I do look at lip balm, shampoos, soaps, lotions, for nut oil ingredients or peanut ingredients, but if the label checks out we buy it. 

This is how we have always done things. 

There was one Coppertone Water Babies sunscreen, with fragrance, that dd did get hives from.  Instant, all over, but started with my hand print where I touched her!  I had applied it to her friend, whom was in my care, and had to move 2yo dd away from him due to some 2yo behavior like hitting or pushing.  I did not even apply any, just put my hands on her trunk, moved her, and welts where my hands toughed her and rapidly got hives all over.  So, we stuck with the fragrance free version, and she was always fine with that.  So, I do not know what caused the hives in that case, but seemed related to fragrance, unless I had picked up peanut residue off of her friend's body somehow. 

So, that is my experience with cosmetics and household cleaners and how we do it.  It works for us, for 15 years, outside of that one accidental exposure to someone else's lotion. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

CMdeux

We use Dawn-- and believe me, if there were a problem with pn, we'd know it, given DD's low threshold.  No advice, just noting that.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

starlight

Quote from: CMdeux on September 05, 2014, 11:24:27 AM
We use Dawn-- and believe me, if there were a problem with pn, we'd know it, given DD's low threshold.  No advice, just noting that.

Sweet. Thanks CM. If your DD doesn't have a problem with it, then I know I won't. :)  I was figuring that if it *were* a problem for PA people, that we'd have known way sooner - from people using it at home, in relatives homes, in restaurants, etc.

maeve

CM, we use Dawn too and don't have problems. I've also switched to Tide's free and clear and we've had no problems with that. (We've never used fabric softener.)  We do use the dry Swiffer clothes and dusting things but not the WetJet or pads.

I do now wonder if the Pampers wipes I used may have caused or contributed to the absolutely horrendous diaper rash DD had.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

becca

In most cases with the kids as babies and toddlers, I chose fragrance free items anyway.  Just because I know fragrances can be irritating regardless of nut oils. 

MaryM

I use Dawn & Swiffer Wet and have never had any problems.  I am the PA/TNA person in the house.

maeve

Sometimes "fragrance free" items still contain a masking fragrance.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

SilverLining

I posted the link on our FB page with this comment

QuoteA reminder to avoid items with fragrance unless you can verify their safety.

I do think it's a good idea to keep an eye on ingredients and if you have a problem with something, double check or stop using it. And it's something noobies don't always think about.

I react to make-up.  There are very few soaps that don't bother someone on my family.

But we use some that link says I shouldn't. (I don't use Dawn because I don't like it, but I've never had a reaction.)

becca

Unrealted to food allergies, I also react to cosmetics.  I rarely wear a foundation, and eye makeup makes my eyes so itchy. 

nameless

Quote from: CMdeux on September 05, 2014, 11:24:27 AM

Yeah - I've used Dawn for years and I've very topical sensitive to peanut, even light cross-x on surfaces and I'll get localized hives.

I did some googling and the fragrance might be derived from peanut oil or peanut acid, but it's been so chemically altered and torn apart...protein probably wouldn't be present.

I'd really want to research how those fragrances are made before I act on that info that site posted.

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Jessica

We've always used Dawn with no problems. But the funny thing is, after I first read about it and started seeing all the options people were switching to or suggesting, I started looking at what else is out there and got a couple of "less harsh chemical" types to try. Before this I never even considered what else was available. Now P&G is giving conflicting information, telling some yes and some no, which isn't something that instills confidence in a company for me. I'll give the seventh generation and palmolive clear that I bought a try but I'm not rushing to throw away the Dawn that's on my sink now. BUT in all of this looking at other soaps, I'm thinking I might want to switch to a citrus based one, simply because I love the scent of citrus and never thought about dish soap smelling like it.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview