Used the Epipen tonight

Started by MaryM, October 25, 2014, 12:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryM

I had to epi DD tonight.  We left great adventure at 10.  Everyone was hungry so we got fries from BK's drive through.  DD said her mouth was itchy so I gave Benadryl - we forgot her daily Zyrtec yesterday.  We kept driving and she said it was still itchy and her stomach hurt.  Then she said she felt like something was in Her throat.  We pulled off at the rest stop and went in.  She said she was having trouble swallowing.  We didn't know what to do.  She looked ok.  After awhile when after 2 tsp of Benadryl she didn't seem better And when She said she didn't want to leave the rest stop I gave the Epi and called 911. She is ok.  We are at ER - vitals are fine. Dh and DS went home (about 35 minutes) bc we will be here for hours.  She's sound asleep. I'm not sure whether it would have progressed or if it was really a reaction but itchy mouth/throat, stomach cramps and trouble swallowing .... I'm exhausted.  I really didn't know what to do and I know I scared DD.  We were both shaking. DH made me give the Epi which was good.

Janelle205

Oh no!  I hope that the rest of your night is uneventful and that you can head home after observation without needing any more meds.  :grouphug:

I think that you absolutely made the right choice.  I would epi with those symptoms.

MaryM

Thanks Janelle.  The ER staff got me a cot but I know I'm not going to sleep.  They administered something else in ambulance, can't remember maybe more Epi?  And steroids at ER.  She constantly complains of itchy throat and it's often her enviro allergies/post nasal drip. 

CMdeux

OH, Mary.   :grouphug:  Hopefully you can get some sleep once you finally get cleared to go home.  I'm so glad that you administered epi.

We've had mystery reactions like this from food-on-the-go.  Wendy's fries did nearly the same thing to DD not three years ago-- I think that it was residue on her hands that she didn't get to wash off since we were in the car.  She only ate a handful of fries, but it was enough.  Luckily we were on our way home (so near to the ER, and could therefore administer more meds more readily, and play a bit of wait-and-see).

:console:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

MaryM

It was weird bc she was chatting and seemed ok but then complaining.  We did a wait and see for a bit.  I'm hate that it's 2am and there's no one to talk to.  I'm glad some of you guys are awake.  I'm overwhelmed. 

Janelle205

Hoping that either you have headed home or will be able to do so soon.  I'm sure that you're exhausted, and that your DD probably wants to be home too - reactions always leave me wiped.

MaryM

Still here.  They said 6 hours from Epi.  The doctor said he wants her to eat & drink something before we go.  15minutes until the 6 hour mark.  I snoozed for a few minutes but I cannot wait to get in my bed.  Dd has been sleeping most of the time.  I'm hoping she'll cuddle up with me when we get home.  I I texted a bit with my nephew in CA since I knew he'd be awake.

Thanks for checking in :)

Janelle205

Six hours is a good recommendation, so glad that you have a doc that seems to know their stuff - I just wasn't sure how long you had been there.

My doc has told me that if they let me out before six hours, I am supposed to stay in the hospital until the six hours are up.

becca

Oh, Mary, I saw your other post in WAYDT and poked around to find this thread.  Ugh.  I hope you are both home and sleeping now and she is fine.  Way to ruin a fun night.  So sorry that happened.  :(  :grouphug:
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

hezzier

hedgehog

Oh, Mary, I just woke to see this.  I am so sorry such a fun trip turned into such a bad night.  But I am glad she is ok.  Please take it easy today, catch up on your rest.
USA

my3guys

Sorry Mary :grouphug: I think you did the right thing with the epi.  Especially given that you were on the highway not near home.

Different circumstances, but I gave the epi too recently.  While the epi is so easy to administer, it leaves us mommas shaken up doesn't it? Find some ways to pamper yourself over the next week :heart:

GoingNuts

I hope you are sleeping in this morning!

Sounds like you did the right thing. And hopefully DD will remember that the epi made her feel better and isn't so bad.

:grouphug:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

SilverLining

Mary, sorry to hear about this. Hope all has been uneventful since and you are now cuddling and sleeping.  :smooch:

Macabre

Mary oh no'. You absolutely did the right thing. That feeling of it being hard to swallow and the stomach ache would totally do it.

Good for you for pulling off and for administering it yourself. Six hours--what a great ER.

Do go easy on yourself the next few days. It's really hard. After a reaction. :heart:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview