FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Disney Threads  (Read 13488 times)

Description: A list of Disney and Orlando ThemeparkThreads

Offline HJK

Re: Disney Threads
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 01:05:21 PM »
Great idea!

Thank you for pulling this all together.
DS allergic to peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 10:00:03 PM »
Some reviews from our Disney Cruise and Walt Disney World trip in November 2014 can be found at the Allergy Free Mouse website.

Cruise:
http://www.allergyfreemouse.com/2014/12/disney-dream-cruise-food-allergies/
Other than the food on Castaway Cay being plain, the rest of it was quite good, especially Palo!

WDW:
http://www.allergyfreemouse.com/2014/12/disney-world-with-multiple-food-allergies-and-intolerance/
Nothing can top our experience with Chef TJ, but every meal here was good.  Dinner at the top of California Grill during the fireworks was very magical, and the food was pretty amazing too.  The only concern we had on this trip was with a frozen dessert that I hadn't heard of before and didn't want to eat because the label had a cautionary label I had never seen before.  I wasn't up to trying any new foods this trip, as eating out every meal was challenging enough due to my PTSD.  My husband was more than happy to eat it, and the chef went off to make me something else (which was far better than the first dessert, I have to say.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 08:53:57 PM »
We're headed to Walt Disney World again in October.  We booked the trip through Pixie Lizzie: Disney allergy travel agent, booked a bowling party (sponsored by Premium Chocolatiers) through the Food Allergy and Celiac Conference, and already arranged a few meals and some surfing lessons.  Cannot wait.  Let me know if anyone has any questions or items for me to investigate whilst there.

But the big news for this post is here:
http://www.myallergykingdom.com
Disney and Mylan have partnered up, having EpiPens available at all their parks, their cruise ships, and even on Castaway Cay (Disney's private island in the Bahamas).  They also developed this site, which has many resources for general anaphylaxis information, recipes, tips, etc. but also Disney-related food allergy information. 

Offline joanna5

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 04:16:07 PM »
We are going in April (milk, egg, peanut, tree nut, and mustard for my guys and celiac for my SIL).  We are super excited.  We also used Pixie Lizzie- she seems lovely.  The biggest challenge for us will be the bread for my two carb-aholics, as well as the ever present "spices" with mustard.

Have a great trip! 
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 09:34:07 AM »
Pixie Lizzie told me, and I have confirmed, that the Magic Kingdom has have removed the vanilla Dole Whip flavour (contained dairy), which created a cross-contact risk for dairy allergies with the pineapple flavour (no dairy).  Now, people with dairy allergy can enjoy pineapple Dole Whips in Magic Kingdom.  Hooray!  (I'm not sure about traces up the line from the manufacturer, however, but I've been told it's safe.  You may want to double check.)

I have learnt not to eat bread outside of home, and Disney is no different.  It's just too high risk of an item.  If there is a particular brand your kid(s) can eat you may want to check if they have it at any of the restaurants you are going to or bring some of your own form home.  Some places have Kinnikinnick doughnuts (my contain some allergens), others will have Udi's bread products (contain egg), and some will have Namaste mixes to make safe waffles or cakes for top-11 (and more).  Ask Pixie Lizzie for the list of who has what.  We'll be hunting down safe waffles for breakfast... (Our hotel only has Bob's Red Mill mix.)

Offline MaryM

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 08:30:21 AM »
Does anyone know if Disney still uses Namaste mix for their allergy waffles?  Last time we were there some places used Bob's Red Mill and we avoid that bc of tree nut allergies.  Have been looking into a trip in late August or the weekend after Labor Day but my kids will want those waffles....

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 09:07:26 AM »
Yes, some places still have Namaste.  Some are also using Golden Malted gluten-free mix, which is PN-TN free but may contain every other priority allergen including wheat (it is stupid, I know.). Actually, the regular Golden Malted waffles are May contain for everything but PN/TN Too.

Give special diets a call before you go to see which locations are most likely to have Namaste - or request it to be at the location you have a reservation.  1900 Park Fare has it, but I don't know where else at the moment.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 09:31:29 AM »
Thanks space.  So, I guess the waffle irons are cross contaminated....very frustrating. 

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 10:47:21 AM »
No, in most places they have different waffle irons for each mix!  If you call ahead and request Namaste mix and a dedicated waffle maker it may just happen.  (And often does.)  The lower end restaurants have the Bob's mix, but the more upscal restaurants have more options.  Definitely call.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 10:55:52 AM »
Thanks space!  I would call special diets?  They had it at Port Orleans FQ last year.  We ate breakfast there a lot.  Debating between 4 nights at Contempirary after Labor Day or 5/6 nights at Art of Animation.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 11:27:24 AM »
Art of Animation won't have the Namaste mix, guaranteed.  Contemporary usually does, as does Port Orleans.  (But it changes so often I couldn't guarantee either.)

Offline MaryM

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 07:07:26 AM »
Someone on FB told me Contemporary didn't have it recently.  Such a bummer.  The waffles were always a big treat for the kids.  DS could eat the Golden Malted but not DD.  As long as I prepare them ahead of time, they will handle it.  Still not sure if we will even go but I am dreaming about it.  Its a real vacation for me bc I don't have to cook or pre cook for the entire trip.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 02:03:11 PM »
CAUTION: Walt Disney World has introduced mobile ordering for special diets and allergy menus and it's a HUGE red flag for me.  HUGE.  These menus do not take cross contact, traces, or multiple allergens into consideration.  For everyone here, please DO NOT use mobile ordering - or order from the regular 'allergy' menus if you have a (severe) food allergy!!  Always speak with a chef.  ALWAYS!

There, my PSA is over for the day.  Oh my goodness, this is frightening.  I know most of you here know better, but I feel the need to share the finer details, because they aren't so obvious. 

A few years back, I spoke with one of the Disneyland chefs who helped develop the food allergy menus in the first place and he was terrified that someone with a severe allergy would casually order from the allergy menu, not mention their allergy, and their meal end up with traces, or a mix up that caused a reaction.  Even he didn't agree that the allergy menus should be handled by patrons without a chef consultation.  They are guidelines, not guarantees. 

I posted some photos of the app, and Disney's allergy notice (which says to speak with a chef), on my work FB page, for those that follow it.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 12:04:08 PM »
Phooey, I went to book some tours for our upcoming trip and was told they are not recommended for people with peanut allergies.   :pout:  They only list hay, dust, and stinging insects on their website as potential allergens, but two people over the phone have mentioned peanuts.

No 'Caring for Elephants' or 'Up Close with Rhinos' tours for us.

We normally pick one or two additional tours/activities when we visit Disney.  This time it will be runDisney, but I was hoping to add these as well.  Time to think of something else.