login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Peanut: Cumin Recall (The Big Thread)  (Read 53693 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Peanut: Cumin Recall (The Big Thread)
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2015, 11:14:26 PM »
I'm posting the full text--in the most easy to read format. 

http://allergicliving.com/2015/02/14/inside-the-peanut-tainted-cumin-recalls-what-happened/

Inside the Peanut-Tainted Cumin Recalls: What Happened?

By: Patrick Bennett

February 18, 2015 – As the widespread series of recalls of cumin products containing undeclared peanut continues across the United States, Allergic Living reached out to regulators and researchers to learn how this massive problem occurred, and how consumers with allergies can be protected.

We can also report that the FDA has heard a dozen reports of allergic reactions related to the recalls, although the severity of them is not clear.

To start with the question of how so many spice and meat products – the total is now 580,000 pounds of beef, pork and chicken – came to contain peanut, the ultimate source and the means of contamination is still being determined. But there is some investigative progress.

Allergic Living is able to confirm that there were two sets of cumin products recalls: one for peanut and almond starting in fall 2014, and a second larger one for peanut only, starting in December 2014. Both were traced back to two separate Turkish suppliers, but so far there is no evidence the situations were related.

However, investigators say this doesn’t necessarily mean the contamination happened in Turkey, or that cumin from other countries is safe – it’s possible that these suppliers imported their cumin from another country, such as India, and the contamination could have happened there.

“The spice chain is long and complex. It can be very difficult to trace back further than one or two levels,” says Steve Taylor, co-founder of the Food Allergy Research and Resource Program at the University of Nebraska, who is deeply involved with the issue. “That’s why it’s not prudent yet to say ‘these suppliers were all from Turkey, therefore it’s all their fault’ – they might have been innocent victims, too.”

Taylor notes that the first round of recalls was triggered by a random test by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency of a taco seasoning product, and that recall occurred on both sides of the border. The second and far larger series began when a company called Reily Foods discovered the cumin used in a chili seasoning kit contained peanut and almond. Reily staff notified the supplier, an American company whose name is not being divulged.

“But the American company that purchased this second batch of cumin from the second  [Turkish] supplier and sold it to Reily Foods, also sold the same batch of cumin to 38 different companies,” says Taylor. “That’s when this thing started to mushroom.” (So far, this second recall series appears specific to the USA.)

“A lot of what happened from late December until now is all related to these 38 customers of this one supplier,” Taylor adds, noting that he believes Adams Flavors, Foods and Ingredients, the first company to issue a peanut-only recall in December 2014, was one of these customers.

In turn, Adams Flavors had its own customers further down the supply chain. “It gets complicated in a hurry,” says Taylor. The large number of companies involved explains why so many different types of foods are affected, including spice mixes, chili kits and also hundreds of thousands of pounds of seasoned beef, pork and poultry products.

Further complicating matters is the fact that the Reily Foods recall was actually for both peanut and almond, just like that first set of fall recalls, while the related recalls that followed were for peanut only. It’s unclear why this is, but at some point the focus shifted to peanut, even though it’s possible almond was in some of these products as well, because of the link to the supplier of Reily Foods. To Taylor’s knowledge, none of the products from this second set of recalls have been tested for almond.

Given this situation, Allergic Living recommends that almond-allergic individuals would be wise to avoid the recalled products as well, at least until more information emerges. So far no other tree nuts have been implicated.

Meanwhile, the FDA has told Allergic Living that it has received at least 12 consumer complaints of allergic reactions to recalled cumin products. However, the circumstances and severity of the reactions were not revealed. Both the FDA and the USDA, which regulates meat products, are closely monitoring the situation and admit there may be more recalls coming.

The tainted spice issue has also spread to Europe. In the U.K., one cumin brand (Bart Ground Cumin*), two fajita kits and a taco seasoning have recently been recalled for undeclared almond, but not peanut. The U.K. Food Standards Agency says the spice being implicated in the last three products appears to be paprika, which was sourced from Santa Maria, a big Scandinavian-owned spice producer. On February 17, Santa Maria pulled back more than 20 seasoning blends across Europe due to paprika that tested positive for almond.

Professor Chris Elliott, who led a British inquiry into fraud in the horse-meat industry, is suggesting that the spice contamination on both sides of the Atlantic may actually be intentional. In an article in The Independent newspaper, Elliott says he is “highly suspicious” that a dreadful cumin harvest in India is causing some producers to substitute or dilute their cumin with peanut or almond shells. Elliott, the director of Queen’s University’s Institute for Global Food Safety, believes this is affecting the global supply of cumin – although he has not yet expressed an opinion on the paprika contamination.

Any intentional nuts-for-spice tampering would be a huge concern for those allergic to peanuts or almonds, but Taylor cautions that this is pure speculation. He says there is no evidence at this point to suggest that any intentional adulteration has occurred. “We don’t know the root cause. There is rampant speculation and several theories,” says Taylor.

And in the The Independent article, a representative of the U.K. Food Standards Agency concurs, saying, “it’s “too early to say whether the substitution was deliberate or accidental.” Allergic Living will continue to monitor any developments in the U.S. and European spice cases.

One slight reassurance about the cumin situation is that the spice isn’t typically used in very large amounts in cooking. “Cumin is pretty potent stuff,” says Taylor. “It’s used at 1 or 2 percent at the most in food products. And often far less than that. So you’d have to have a lot of peanut in the cumin in order for there to be sufficient carryover to provoke reactions in peanut-allergic individuals.”

The recalls have been something of a wake-up call for the spice industry, where Taylor says companies did not tend to think regular allergen testing was necessary. “The situation has now changed and widespread testing is being conducted,” he says.

http://allergicliving.com/2015/02/14/inside-the-peanut-tainted-cumin-recalls-what-happened/2/
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Online Mezzo

« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2015, 06:15:14 AM »
Holy.  This is so scary.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2015, 06:17:08 AM »
 :disappointed:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2015, 08:14:06 AM »
Update today on the Spiceco recall:

Spiceco Issues A Correction Regarding Allergy Alert On Undeclared Peanut Allergen In 5 Oz. Containers Of Pride Of Szeged Sweet Hungarian Paprika Lot #091617PAHU05PS and Lot #091717PAHU05PS

Consumer:
(732)499-9070
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — February 17, 2015 — Spiceco of Avenel, NJ is recalling PRIDE OF SZEGED SWEET HUNGARIAN PAPRIKA because it may contain undeclared Peanut Allergen. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to Peanut Allergen run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume this product.

This product was sold between September 18, 2014 and October 13, 2014 to distributors located in IL, NJ, CT, MI, FL, NY, OH, CA and MD .
The State Of Virginia was incorrectly listed in the previously issued press releases.

Pride of Szeged Hungarian Paprika is packaged in a metal tin container with the lot numbers 091617PAHU05PS and 091717PAHU05PS printed on the lower edge of the lid and UPC Number 0 78006 00010 2.

No illnesses or allergic reactions have been reported to date.

The problem was brought to Spiceco’ s attention on January 27, 2015 after the Tennessee Department of Agriculture conducted a routine retail food product sampling in the Cleveland area on a 5 oz. container of Pride of Szeged Hungarian Paprika which revealed the presence of peanut allergen. Lot number 091617PAHU05PS showed positive for the presence of a peanut allergen not disclosed on the product label. Further investigation and testing revealed the presence of peanut allergen in LOT # 091617PAHU05PS and LOT# 091717PAHU05PS

Customers who have purchased the above described product are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Customers with questions may contact the company at: 1–732–499-9070 Monday through Friday between 7:00 AM and 5:00 PM EST.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2015, 10:06:37 AM »
Sending this link to DD's allergist.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2015, 04:34:48 PM »
http://www.fda.gov/Food/RecallsOutbreaksEmergencies/SafetyAlertsAdvisories/ucm434274.htm

Given that the FDA seems to now be recommending all products with cumin now be avoided, how is everyone handling this? 

Offline GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline justme

« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »
We are having a hard time with this in my house.  :hiding:I am doing my best to feed the family clean foods with no ingredients until I can call on each and every product. We are avoiding cumin and paprika for right now. But I don't know for how long we need to do this.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2015, 04:30:13 PM »
Hard to know exactly how far reaching this recall is.  In my opinion, they will never be able to recall it all on the other hand I believe they really are trying.  I have seen nothing indicating an end to the concern from the FDA.

I cook from scratch and only use McCormick for spices and seasonings so for us it has not been bad.  DD will no longer eat anything in the school cafeteria and we are very careful when she eats out.

Perhaps when you call on the products you are concerned about, those vendors can share their opinion on how long your concerns should last.

Personally, I've told DD for the next 18 months, be on guard when you are not eating at home.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2015, 08:53:57 AM »
A recall has been added to the CFIA's Food Recall Report.

Class 1
Reason for Recall: Allergen - peanut
Product(s): Pride of Szeged brand Hungarian Paprika
Recalling Firm: S & F Food Importers Inc.
Distribution: Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario

Product details are available at: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2015-02-23/eng/1424729641949/1424729678195

Common food allergens - http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food_allergies
Email Notification Subscription Self-Service - http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/util/listserv/listserve.shtml

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) issues public advisories and email notifications for food recalls for all high-risk food recalls (mainly Class I) when the product is available for sale or could be in consumers’ homes.

All other recalls (Class II and III), and food products that are sold exclusively to restaurants, are posted on the CFIA’s Food Recall Report. Email notifications are also available for all allergen recalls.

Food and consumer product recalls are also available at www.healthycanadians.gc.ca.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2015, 08:01:51 AM »
So, I am curious, it's been 6 months now.  How many of you are still avoiding Cumin?

We still are avoiding cumin unless it is McCormick. 

Offline MaryM

« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »
I have been wondering about the cumin recall too...

ninjaroll

« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2015, 10:42:13 AM »
Not really at all.  Absent test results I have no idea what the substantive details were and how many recalled items actually tested positive for peanut at what amount.

In practice, however, I'm now brand loyal to McCormick for knowing their supply chain, more transparent COOL (Country of Origin Labeling), and coming out to say hey allergy folks we know our stuff and demonstrate excellent supply chain control.  For that they get a Scooby snack.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2015, 09:16:19 AM »
I don't worry about it going out to eat anymore.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline justme

« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »
I contacted FAAN and they said that they are still recommending that PA people avoid cumin. I asked for how long and was basically told forever. I was like, huh?!?!

We still avoid, but seriously, can we really be expected to NEVER eat a food from a recall???? This makes no sense to me.