login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Epi Shortage - Time Sensitive, Please read  (Read 17813 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

Epi Shortage - Time Sensitive, Please read
« on: May 09, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »
NBC Nightly News is doing a story re: the EpiPen shortage tonight. They’re looking for a NYC-based family or parent who is stressing about their child’s EpiPen access. Email Ben Popken at ben.popken@nbcuni.com.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline MaryM

Re: Epi Shortage - Time Sensitive, Please read
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 06:56:06 PM »
Today I encountered the shortage.  DD left her Epi Pens in the car by mistake overnight.  I Called to see if we had any refills.  DD did not, but DS did.  My insurance no longer covers Auvi (and we used the free from Kaleo and the refills so no more for the year) and will only cover generic.  None of the Walgreens that I called had any generic Epi.  UGH.  CVS has their own generic brand and I was able to transfer the script.  We are now the proud owners of Impax Epi Injectors.  They are thinner than the Mylan generic, plus!  You do have to pull two caps off but you know what?  I am so grateful that CVS has this option bc my regular pharmacy had nothing for me.  I am going to have the allergist call in a script for DD to CVS.  I guess the schools will need to be trained but hey, if I can't get the Epi - Pen I am glad we have something.   Should be interesting when we get to school.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:05:45 AM »
I’m glad you were able to get something.

Jealous, but happy for you at the same time.

Offline Ciel

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »
I’m due for a refill this month but mine are still looking good so I’m holding off because I know so many parents will be stressing out trying to get ready for heading back to school. I’m sure that is stressful enough on its own. But it is an uncomfortable position for me as well. I would willingly take a vial and syringe if it meant that a child could have an autoinjector for school etc. But why does it keep happening that we even have to think about making these uncomfortable decisions?

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 04:18:58 PM »

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 05:22:01 PM »
Oh, that opens up many questions, doesn't it... I can think of several: have they been using shortened expiry dates on purpose?  Were the expiration dates shortened by mistake (I doubt it)?  Are they doing this just to make people feel more comfortable about carrying expired medications?  This seems far too coincidental for it to be a safety review of sorts... Why the sudden change?  Is the shortage making them lower their standards of what is considered okay?  They offer little answers, other than studies prove viability... well, yes, but why aren't all autoinjectors affected by the change?  And, will this change continue into the future?

It seems fishy to me. 

And yet, we still only have one auto injector brand to choose from here in Canada, or should I say, used to be available... Most island pharmacies are out, and many on the mainland are too.  They're handing out two EpiPen Jr. devices to adults who absolutely need a new prescription, providing them with one full dose, that's it. 

Mine don't expire until next year, but I'm starting to worry about these shortages and what they could mean for those of us with no alternative other than phials and syringes -- and that isn't a safe option for many reasons.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline MaryM

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 07:49:27 AM »
Very fishy - I really think I am done with Mylan and am fortunate that here in the US I was able to get my hands on an alternative injector.  I hope Auvi-Q will offer free scripts to us again after its been a year.  My insurance does not cover them.

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
I remember when Epi expiration dates got shorter and I remember when Epi prices went up.  Seems those two events weren't too far apart in the grand scheme of things.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 11:34:33 AM »
This whole thing infuriates me. Mylan's practices are disgraceful. The expiration dates only get lengthened when there's a shortage??

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 01:51:27 PM »
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here yet: Auvi-Q is coming to Canada to help alleviate the EpiPen shortage:

http://foodallergycanada.ca/2018/08/auvi-q-epinephrine-auto-injector-temporary-supply-in-canada/

I want to get two, for convenience and comfort because they're significantly easier to carry and use, but I already have some current EpiPens and don't want to take away from people who don't have any... *sigh*  I have EpiPens expiring in December, so I'll wait until then because I am considerate. 

But... running and cycling with EpiPens versus Auvi-Q... there's no comparison.  It's like running with a rock in your shoe, only's it's this rigid long object across your back - horribly uncomfortable - versus something nearly tucked in a waistband pocket.  Daily life for this athletic purse-hating 24/7 EpiPen wearing person is more comfortable with Auvi-Q. 

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 05:49:03 PM »
Space- I would try and get them sooner rather than later just in case they aren't available later in the year when you want them.  December isn't that far off.

I seriously wish we could get them again.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 03:33:55 PM »
Auvi Q and Walgreens have some deal in place to provide Auvi Q, not sure how it will work.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 05:38:58 PM »
Space- I would try and get them sooner rather than later just in case they aren't available later in the year when you want them.  December isn't that far off.

I seriously wish we could get them again.
Why can't you get them?  Not covered by insurance?

I'll email my doctor.  I just saw her today and will see if she can write an Auvi-Q prescription when I see her in 4 weeks for another B12 injection.  You're probably right about getting them sooner than later, although they have a contract to make them available for a year, with hope they will return permanently to Canada sometime in 2019, per Health Canada. 

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 06:00:14 PM »
They gave them to my daughter by mistake.  We never should have gotten them in the first place because we still have health insurance through the military.  Their assistance plan doesn't work with government health insurance.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 07:19:10 PM »
Leaving this here:

The price for two Auvi-Q devices at a Canadian pharmacy is $400 CAD.  Some insurance plans aren't covering it, though I haven't heard any reports of any that are... so maybe none are covering it for all I know. 

It's a hard number to swallow for many people.  (Including me... our budget won't like that cost if it isn't covered, but I would be a psychological mess and likely starve myself if I had to carry expired EpiPens.)