Translation needed

Started by SilverLining, November 09, 2011, 02:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverLining

My e-mail

I need to know if your K-Cups list *may contain* warnings for allergens. I noticed there are some nut flavoured coffees. If nut or nut oils are used in processing those, are they produced on the same facility as other coffees? Also, any chocolate drinks could be a risk. The specific allergens we are dealing with are peanut/nut and sesame. ~~ Please advise what brands your information covers. I was looking up Timothy's, but Contact took me to Green Mountain. Thank you for your attention.

Their answer:
We do offer the Newman's Own Cafe Almond Biscotti which is labeled to contain nut extractives. This product has been tested and contains no nut proteins which are the cause of the allergen. Flavors such as Hazelnut do not have nuts or nut extractives.
All of our coffees are processed in the same building and depending on the severity of the allergy we suggest you consult with your physician.

What nut extractives don't contain nuts?  Does this mean artificial flavour (which often does not include nuts)?  It says it's tested for the allergen.....but I should consult with my physician. 

And no comment about chocolate drinks.  I guess I'll have to check if they run on the same line or not.  I'm OK with same facility, but still debating about same equipment.  It would be a risk of cross-contamination with a cross-contaminated product....not cross-contamination with a peanut. kwim?

CMdeux

No-- I read "nut extractives" there to mean a solvent extraction of flavor components, and either testing or (more likely, IMO) an assumption that because proteins are not the extraction target, that there aren't any present.

It's natural nut, all right, and it's extracted.

So if you wouldn't drink water swished around in a jar of nuts after you filtered the nuts back out...

Uhhh- yeah.  I'm thinking this is in the "avoid" category.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

SilverLining

Can they say *tested* if it's not?  Keep in mind, almond is the one nut that can be tested for.  I think with other nuts, all they can do is get letters from suppliers, but they can't actually test.  (Or has that changed?)

SilverLining

From the Certified Allergen Control Program page.

The CAC Program exclusively targets the allergens for which recognized and validated detection tests are commercially available. For time being, there are four allergens:

Peanuts
Almonds
Milk
Eggs

However, the possibility of extending the CAC Program to other allergens is currently under study, as allergenic agent detection is the subject of further scientific and technical research

fyi, this is a labelling program in Canada.

hedgehog

Quote from: SilverLining on November 09, 2011, 03:02:55 PM
Can they say *tested* if it's not? 

Well, "tested" is not a very specific word, is it?  I mean, to one person, tested may be a long process of specific steps done in a very scientific manner.  To another, tested might be a quick visual inspection, or a taste test. If they don't say what they mean by tested, it very well may not be an accurate test.
USA

CMdeux

Exactly.

Or the process may have been, at some point in time, "tested" prior to scale-up, or something.

I seriously doubt that they are conducting routine testing of multiple lots of product.

Western U.S.

SilverLining

You people are not making my husband very happy.  This is what HE wants for Christmas.

~~~~

Times like this I hate being me.  I don't want anyone else being forced to sacrifice for me.  I HATE HATE HATE THIS.  Should be able to buy a stupid coffee without all this cr@p.

SilverLining

But...thank you.  Really!  I'm not shooting the messengers.   :)

CMdeux

Well, if you aren't drinking it... as you noted, it's cross-contamination OF cross-contamination, basically... and second hand exposure to it at that.

I guess if it were for my DH, I'd probably be okay with that.  IMMV, of course, but it seems to me that probably most soaps, lotions, shampoos, etc. are in this category. 

Western U.S.

SilverLining

No, we'd both be drinking it.  Get rid of the coffee pot, put away (but keep) the kettle.

~~~

I did find one brand that doesn't use any nuts and they don't make chocolate.  I've now sent them an e-mail asking if their K-cups are produced in same facility or same line as other brands of K-cups.  I explained that other companies are very unclear on whether or not their products are safe, and if theirs run with them, then I can't trust them either.

If there is ONE safe, he can have his variety.  He won't chose a flavour with nut, so then we're back to a cross-contm. of a may contain.

hezzier

Well, this sort of defeats the purpose of K-cups in my opinion (as a non-coffee drinker), but they do make a reusable k-cup filters so you use your own coffee.
DH has one of these, but I don't think he's ever used it.

http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-Reusable-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000DLB2FI

hezzier

Not sure this is of any help, but DH said Starbucks has started to make K-cups

CMdeux

I saw that someone else had recently, too-- can't recall who it was, though.  I'll look next time I'm at the grocery store (of course, it may not matter if they don't sell in up in Kanadia  ;) ).

Western U.S.

SilverLining

Several e-mails later and it appears there are some safe one.  Van H(something or other), Timothy's, waiting to hear back from Folger's, and I think I need to start a petition to Tim Horton's to start making them.  lol

catelyn

Van Houte!  Its a chain from Quebec that has yummie coffee.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview