FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 504 Help  (Read 2448 times)

Description: Meeting with teachers next week need help

Offline JenniferSargent

504 Help
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:42:51 PM »
Meeting with the school for the second 504 meeting.  Have had some issues and mine son was their first 504 for food allergies and on new form.  Didn't ask for enough but have a larger list to ask for this year. The principal for the elementary school for next year is included so want to lay the ground work for positive changes to hopefully have them prepared to keep him safe next year and when he makes the transition to kindergarten with the teacher and classroom changes.  Anyone with contact reactive children that are young (he is just four) with a 504 that works.  Know we didn't address the bathrooms last year.  He uses the bathroom outside the lunchroom so a greater concern with moving to afternoon preschool.  Gloves he wore for the last year are getting too small to cover all his skin.  He wears them everywhere not protected - they forgot once to remind him to put them on and the second time he lost one during class and they sent him out of the room and on the bus without them..  Going to ask for the PT room to become allergy aware room.  They don't offer allergy free rooms because children can choose to
 bring their own snack from home for programs..  Please give suggestions...

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: 504 Help
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 02:52:19 PM »
Hi Jennifer.  welcome!

I do not have a 504, but I know under the schools topic here we have a wealth of 504 information, and it is very active with those knowledgeable and experienced with them. 

Here:  School Resources

becca
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:54:59 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »
Hi & I'm moving this to the regular SCHOOLS board where it will get the best focus!

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:50:24 PM »
Wanted to say Hello & to suggest you consider making your username less recognizable for privacy sake.

Next question for you -- how strong of a letter from allergist do you have and is support from him/her what you need to get the appropriate and necessary accommodations via 504 for child?  The allergist's letter needs to be strong and not just "we would like" or "maybe you should do" 

Does that make sense?

Do you want to continue with the gloves or would it be better for child's inclusion and emotional/social well-being that the accommodations be made (and ENFORCED) such that child can be gloveless and safe?

More I might ask, but wanted to start with that . . .

Welcome!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:47:25 PM »
We do have child who got a 504 at age 4 before entering K (he entered a year early, and his mom got the 504 the spring before).

And her thread rocked. Has Stinky's thread been brought over?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline notnutty

• Live Simply, Laugh Often, Love Deeply
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:42:38 AM »
My DS is contact reactive and has had a 504 in place since kindergarten and a very comprehensive plan since preschool.

I would start by making a list of the things you do at home to keep him safe and then try to carry those things to the school environment as much as possible.

I would push for hand washing and the removal of his allergens from his learning environment. While the gloves may be a practical solution, I question the psychological ramifications of wearing them. Does he wear them outside the school setting?

Just because they don't offer allergy free rooms doesn't mean you can't advocate for this. This is your son's learning environment and he has the right to be in a safe environment.

Welcome and I hope we can help you with this process.

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »
We do have child who got a 504 at age 4 before entering K (he entered a year early, and his mom got the 504 the spring before).

And her thread rocked. Has Stinky's thread been brought over?

I cannot recall & will try to work on to be sure and to get link in here.  If we brought it over, I think it would be in the School resources area . . .

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 04:24:53 PM »
I have looked for that thread in the past few months and got sidetracked, Ajas.  I'm not sure where it went in the shuffle of the move.  I know that it would have been flagged particularly as a "keeper/favorite" so it might have gotten overlooked or moved in some way with both of us working in here at the time.

In other words, it's POSSIBLE that it fell through the cracks in the move.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »
I actually thought I moved it here.  I started looking the other day and got sidetracked.  I'll try to look later.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:14:12 AM by Mfamom »
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes