login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: teen denied inhaler  (Read 6146 times)

Description: no paperwork

Offline maeve

Re: teen denied inhaler
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 02:02:28 AM »
DD was denied her inhaler when she was in first grade. 

Do not quote

My DD was denied her inhaler during the second week of school in first grade.  The health clinic assistant called me after she sent DD back to class to tell me what happened.  She told me that DD was just tired and that her "fingernails weren't blue."  The HCA called me about the time school ended and DD had gone to the clinic within 20 minutes of the end of the day.  At the time DD rode a buss afterschool to get to day care and the day care staff were completely unaware of what had happened at school and might have had to deal with the attack worsening while they were on the road.  I called the day care center to give them a heads up so they could watch DD/give her her inhaler if neeeded. I should note this happened in September, which is a month that sees a spike in asthma attacks, and it was humid and during ragweed season, one of DD's triggers.

I went ballistic.  DD's pediatrician was aghast and stated that if DD's fingernails were blue that she would need to be intubated because she would be cynotic at that time.  I emailed the supervisor for all the nursing staff at the school district level, and it hasn't been a problem since. (It also helped that the HCA was just filling in until the permanent one could start; the permanent one is still at the school and has been wonderful--calls me when DD uses her inhaler more than once a day.)  Our pediatrician also wrote a wonderful letter stating that DD knows her symptoms and should always be given  her inhaler when requested, and the letter also noted that asthma is a co-morbid condition to DD's nut allergies, particularly her peanut allergy.  We've included this letter in her paperwork every year since. 

Also of note, the HCA who denied the inhaler also waved her hand dismissively in my face when I dropped DD's kindergarten paperwork off and requested a 504 while stating, "We don't do 504s."  Unfortunately, I didn't know enough about the 504 process at the time to know that was a procedural violation and  that I only had 180 days to file a complaint.  That HCA still works for the school system to my knowledge.

End Do No Quote

DD's always had an inhaler and EpiPens in her backpack, so that inhaler would have been available.  DD was approved for self-carry this year and now carries her Epi and inhaler on her person in a small purse.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline SilverLining

Re: teen denied inhaler
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 06:46:15 AM »
I think part of the problem was, up u til Friday this kid did carry his own inhaler....but it was taken from him.

~~~

My son has antihistamine left at the school office.  He really suffers when his environmental allergies kick up.  The proper forms are filled out, but both the office staff and his teacher have asked me specific questions about when he can take them.  They know it's not for anaphylaxis...so just how bad a reaction, what symptoms, etc.  My answer was, if he asks for one or two give them to him.

They were quite happy with that answer.

He hates taking medicine...so if he asks, he really needs it.