Dairy Challenge....

Started by MaryM, July 18, 2012, 10:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonestable

She is very excited, but I think a little overwhelmed.  I don't think she has quite grasped what a huge impact it will have on her life.  Her older sister I think gets it more - she is excited that our family will get to go out to restaurants more often!  In some ways I think my allergic DD didn't realize what she was missing out on as much as the older one with no allergies who knew she was missing out on things because of her sister's allergies.

Looking forward to planning a cruise now....

MaryM

Just had more dairy & got hives on the chin near his mouth.  Waiting for allergist or nurse to call.  Gave Benadryl & am feeling so bummed  :-[

bonestable

I'm sorry, Mary (and sorry for hijacking your thread).

Hopefully the allergist will be helpful - perhaps you just need to take it a little more slowly.  I can only imagine how distressing it must be for both of you to get hives at this point.

CMdeux

Quote from: MaryM on July 19, 2012, 12:23:58 PM
Just had more dairy & got hives on the chin near his mouth.  Waiting for allergist or nurse to call.  Gave Benadryl & am feeling so bummed  :-[

:grouphug:

Hoping that you'll be able to do baked dairy even if uncooked sources are still out at this point.   :heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

joanna5

I'm so sorry, Mary.  I hope the allergist gives you the okay for cooked dairy, at least. 

Congrats, Bonestable!  So, so exciting.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

MaryM

Bonestable - congratulations on passing the challenge!

We went to the pediatrician today just to make sure everything ok. The doctor we saw has a pa/milk allergic child.  He went over the history and really thinks we should try baked dairy and I agree.  The allergist said no more dairy for now.  I think he's a strict avoidance guy.  I am inclined to try baked dairy in a week or so.  DS is pretty much devastated as am I.  What a rough day.  Anyone have suggestions for products with bake dairy?

my3guys

I'm really sorry this happened Mary. :grouphug:  I'll come back to you with baked dairy ideas later, baseball calls now!

TwoDDs

I'm so sorry.  Baked dairy is still a huge step forward, still.   :(

hezzier

MaryM- sorry, such a bummer.  I can't remember what other allergens you are avoiding, but I have a great blueberry muffin recipe with milk, butter and eggs.  Food Allergy Mama also has a great coffee cake recipe that you could sub in one dairy item.  Let me know if you are interested.

MaryM

Thanks Hezzier!  DS is milk/egg/beef allergic. I'd love either of those recipes - thanks.

I'm a mess.  I am completely exhausted & so emotional  :-[

my3guys

Mary...what did he eat that he got the hives from?  Any chance it was egg cross contaminated?

Here are foods with baked milk you can purchase:

Nutrigrain Bars
Fig Newtons
Goldfish
Cheeze-Its

Here's a recipe for muffins with baked milk:

1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup dry milk
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 equivalents of egg replacer (I use 1- 1/2 tsp oil, and water, 1 tsp baking powder for each egg) so 3 tsp oil, 3 tsp water, 2 tsp baking powder)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
4 oz applesauce

Preheat oven to 350 deg.
Combine dry ingredients and mix with wet ingredients
yields 6 muffins, bake for 30-35 minutes

I'll do a search for my mount sinai thread too.  You may want to read through that.

Quick summary:
First stage: the muffin recipe I posted

When that stage is passed, the next stage is pizza

When that stage is passed, macaroni and cheese

When that stage is passed, regular milk

Kids go at 6 month and 1 yr. intervals.

The stages are decided by the amount of milk protein, and how long it's cooked.  It's hard to believe that pizza is at stage 2, but it is!

Since he passed regular milk in the office, you may be able to jump right to pizza and he may be consistently fine with that for a while before you try stage 3.

I'll search for the thread and post it. 

my3guys

He passed milk!!!!!

Mary,  above thread has our latest results, as well as link to Mt. Sinai thread.  Hope this is helpful!

joanna5

Mary, I second the Food Allergy Mama cookbook.  Her recipes are all dairy, egg, and nut free and you could sub in milk for some/all of the soy milk in the recipe.  I use that cookbook all the time and have loved just about all of the recipes.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

MaryM

Thanks everyone! 

He reacted to Breyers vanilla ice cream.

I decided to take both kids to Mt. Sinai.  We can't see Sampson (insurance) but I figure another allergist there who works with him would be good.  We go in a month.  They had an cancellation for next week but DS is going to spy camp - there is no way we would miss that :)

YouKnowWho

I don't suppose this was one of the eggy vanilla Breyer's flavors by accident (one could hope?)  I am notorious for bringing that one home.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview