Dairy Challenge....

Started by MaryM, July 18, 2012, 10:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryM

DS passed his dairy challenge!!!!  I'm in shock.  He is thrilled as am I.  We have to wait 24 hours & then he can have more.  Each day he can have a bit more!!!  Hoping DD handles this ok since her numbers are too high to do a challenge at this point.

GingerPye

OHMYGOODNESS!!!!  Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

CMdeux

:happydance:   HURRAYYYYYYY!!!!

(And good for you for hanging in there, Mary!  I know how hard it is to sit calmly through one of these while inside you're biting your nails. :heart:  What a TERRIFIC mom you are.)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

my3guys

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!!! :happydance: I know how huge this is!!  I hope your dd does ok too. :heart:  Maybe he can eat some of his dairy when she's not around?

YouKnowWho

DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

rebekahc

TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

MaryM

Thanks everyone!  He can't wait to have more ice cream tomorrow.  I'm nervous about it but he really did not react at all during the challenge.  After the first bite (10-15 minutes later) he said his throat was a little scratchy.  Dr. listened to his lungs, looked in his throat gave him some water and that was that.  Not another complaint or symptom.  His RAST was negative for dairy.

If you've been through this before, how much dairy did you give each day?  The allergist said to give him a small cup of ice cream tomorrow & increase the amount each day.

Mookie86

hezzier

bonestable

My DD passed her dairy challenge on Monday as well.  Over a 4 hour period she drank a full cup of milk with no symptoms, other than a slight itchy roof of her mouth at one point.

I asked if we should gradually build up the amount we gave her but the allergist said it wasn't necessary.  She did say if I was nervous we could take it slowly!

On the afternoon of the challenge she ate half a KitKat, then at dinner half a bag of maltesers (can you tell candy is what she was most looking forward to!).

The following day she had a bowl of ice cream for lunch and some pizza for dinner.

The next day she had a bowl of ice cream for lunch and a finger of Twix at dinner.

No problems so far.   I bought some cheese yesterday and she will probably try it today.  We will continue to take it slowly.  She is OK with that - happy to be trying new foods but not desperate to try everything at once.

One thing the allergist said is that she may still react on her skin - I get her to wash her hands if she gets milky food on them (eg eating pizza with her hands) because I suspect that rubbing it into her eyes irritates them.

She also said we have to make sure she continues to eat milk because the allergy could return.  Hopefully not a big concern, but something to be aware of if she ever becomes a vegan or travels somewhere where milk is not used so much.

CMdeux

Wow-- Bonestable, that is AWESOME news!!

How old is your DD now?

Western U.S.

bonestable

My DD is almost 9.  She was diagnosed at 8 months after a spoonful of yogurt. 

CMdeux

She must be over the MOON!!   ;D  (I know that our kids kind of give up outgrowing once they are about 7-8 yo, so this must feel to your DD like she won the lottery.  Wow!)

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview