FDA approves auvi-Q (epinephrine auto injecter)

Started by SilverLining, August 13, 2012, 10:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajasfolks2

Our family may have to buy the first pair of these for each kid & won't be able to file insurance as we used our max # of epipens per year last September . . . and I *know* our kids want to switch to these . . .

Are samples (trainers) being donated to local support groups or otherwise via FAAN/FARE so that folks can see & test and make decision on switching?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Mfamom

got them.  Okay, the fine print!  I paid $60, not $25. 
It is smaller than I thought it would be. 
there is two devices plus a trainer.  My ds was so happy!!
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

CMdeux

So was that your total co-pay, or co-pay after discounting, Mfamom?

Our co-pay for epi twinpacks right now is $50.

Does this COME in a two-device "pack" with a trainer?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

PurpleCat

I called and our insurance will cover it.  The woman could not tell from her screen how many are in the box.  Before I call for a script, is there a twin pack or are they single units?

Thanks!

MandCmama

Twin pack and trainer,, all in an impossibly small box. School nurse was going to call to see if they'd send trainers... I told her I'd loan her our for her next teacher inservice if she can't get one. Haven't heard from her yet.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

momma2boys

It comes in a two pack, with a trainer.  The copay for the two pack with the coupon is $25.  I checked the cash price at work today and it is about $350. 

I'm going to call also about extra trainers.  I was talking to ds last night and our favorite thing about it, is when you use it you just put it on your leg and press.  No worries about exactly how hard you need to swing or jab.  That was always something I worried about and how do you explain to someone how hard to do it.  This leaves no guesswork, just click and it starts counting down.  It is really cool and seems pretty foolproof.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Mfamom

without the coupon I  would have 120 copay.  the fine print says you pay the first 25 and can receive up to 60 off copay or out of pocket. 
I ended up paying 60.
there are two devices and a trainer.  the box seemed so tiny!!

Committee Member Hermes

Macabre

I was hoping to surprise DS yesterday when I picked him up from rehearsal, but the doctor office didn't call it in.  And today hte nursing staff was out.  ??  So, tomorrow. 

We're not going to wait until Valentine's (we were going to).  DS wears a suit for speech tourney all day Saturday, and two in his suit (one in pants pocket and one behind the lapel) will have a much better profile for competition than two EpiPens.  But it will be a surprise at least tomorrow!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

CMdeux

Western U.S.

Mfamom

macabre, our cvs had to order it because they didn't have it in store.  only took one day for them to get it though. 

Committee Member Hermes

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

MandCmama

Quote from: Mfamom on February 06, 2013, 05:38:34 AM
macabre, our cvs had to order it because they didn't have it in store.  only took one day for them to get it though.

Ours did as well.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

CMdeux

Waaaaaaa!!

Our lame-o insurance (which is the same-oh  insurance as at least one other member, ahem) doesn't even have this LISTED as an approved drug at all, formulary or not.

Bleh.

So our cost would be $290 at our pharmacy when I spoke with them this morning.

Ugh. Ugh, Ugh.  Can't do it.   :-[

We'll have to try to get a preapproval and exeption through our allergist at the end of the month instead.

For a kid with a history of cognitive impairment during a reaction, though, I really think this device is entirely JUSTIFIED over an epipen.

Western U.S.

MandCmama

Quote from: CMdeux on February 06, 2013, 11:39:43 AM
Waaaaaaa!!

Our lame-o insurance (which is the same-oh  insurance as at least one other member, ahem) doesn't even have this LISTED as an approved drug at all, formulary or not.

Bleh.

So our cost would be $290 at our pharmacy when I spoke with them this morning.

Ugh. Ugh, Ugh.  Can't do it.   :-[

We'll have to try to get a preapproval and exeption through our allergist at the end of the month instead.

For a kid with a history of cognitive impairment during a reaction, though, I really think this device is entirely JUSTIFIED over an epipen.

CM- Take a look at the coupon.  I believe there was something on there regarding those who won't be using insurance. Maybe it would bring the cost down slightly.  That is awfully steep for a med that is so easily damaged and needs to be replaced at least yearly  :-[
Pennsylvania, USA

CMdeux

Quote from: Macabre on January 28, 2013, 12:16:49 PM
Here's a coupon good for the first two Rx of Auvi-Q.

:)

http://m.auvi-q.com/m/support-and-savings

Up to $60 off a script without using insurance.

Still a very far cry from our $50 copay for epipens, though.   :-[

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview