FDA approves auvi-Q (epinephrine auto injecter)

Started by SilverLining, August 13, 2012, 10:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfamom

oh, CMdeux, that is crappy!!  I have been able to get approvals for coverage though when insurance said no.  for example, my ds has taken allegra forever.  when clariton etc went otc, the insurance said NO to the allergra prescription.  he had tried clariton etc and they did not help him.  the nurse called insurance and got it approved and they covered it for regular copay.  Maybe you guys can try that.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

CMdeux

Yeah, I think that non-formulary co-pays are now up at $90, but at least with the $25 off, it wouldn't be so much more, and we'd do that.

Will need to talk to the doc... probably ought to do this before he leaves for AAAAI.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Mfamom

but the savings off can be up to $60
so, my copay without the coupon would have been $120.  with the coupon it made it $60

Committee Member Hermes

twinturbo

We picked up three twinpacks a couple of weeks ago.

Auvi-q is more expensive than EpiPen at the dispensary therefore our copay was slightly higher at $40 instead of $25, but for each coupon our out of pocket was knocked down to $25. FSA can cover that copay if you have one.

Right out of the box DS1 could use it without any prompt from me. He has been trained by us on injection basics but as an experiment I merely handed him the Auvi-q trainer and he did it flawlessly and fearlessly himself. He's less confident with the Epipen trainer. The Auvi-q case is a bit tighter for his fingers to pry loose but he's not an especially strong six year old but even for me it's a bit of a squeeze to pull from the case. Not terribly so but in direct comparison with the EpiPen flip-cap a bit latchier.

The voice guide on the device is NO gimmick as I wondered before practicing with the actual trainer. Just as in any emergent situation the commands are clear and force the user to have to choose to not follow correct injection. In high stress situations it takes both the guesswork out on timing and limits how creatively a caregiver could inject. We're going to bring our trainer in the school for the staff to share.

Carrying. I parallel carry 3 Auvi-q with 3 EpiPen for 3 individuals. Initially it was a bit worrisome until I became used to the different dimensions and weight. I'm a big fan of muscle memory in these situations, I'd recommend defining where you'll carry similar shaped items (pack of gum, tin of mints, etc) and keep one pocket a dedicated Auvi-q pocket. Ideally this is a zippered chest pocket or front pants pocket. While the Auvi-q in the generic sense shares dimensions with smart phones the actual size and weight is very different: it feels more like a tin or box of candy.

I tried my back pocket first, including jumping around, zipping pants on and off, sitting on it, comparing it to the dimensions of my iPhone 5 in my other back pocket. Although I foundit easy to differentiate from my phone or DH's wallet what you don't want is to either let it fall in the toilet or to the ground at a urinal (I made DH try the urinal with trainer in his pocket), you also don't want to get desensitized to the idea that something squarish in your back pocket is there and assume it's the Auvi-q. There's also the laundry issue so yes you'd need some sort of check system for males who favor pants or chest pockets. Zippered pockets preferably so it doesn't fall out.

MedicAlert verbiage. I have to think about this more.

Auvi-q label and manufacture. For those of you that have the trainer only to check it out the trainers are made in Thailand. The live Auvi-q devices are made in Germany. Mine are labeled accordingly.

Additionally, they are labeled by weight instead of junior/adult. I write on the handle and blank parts of my Auvi-q whether they are the kids or adults in case I'm incapacitated and someone has to inject me or the kids. I'm seeing labeling by weight more good than bad but I believe there's some room for improvement here.

CM, I have an extra trainer I can mail to you. You can also try to call Sanofi while they are eager to gain market and offer assistance to those whose insurance will not help them with the Sanofi device.

However... I called Sanofi the day I got the devices, was transferred no less than 3 times and not a single customer service rep knewof the Auvi-q. And I called the number on the package, or maybe it was from their website. Regardless, I think in this scenario you as a PharmD might have better luck with the Intelliject product marketing manager if you can't make headway through the Sanofi customer service maze.

But yeah, the human factor engineering of the Auvi-q epinephrine autoinjector is well done for the first round launch. I'm thrilled to have a choice and carry a mix of EpiPen and Auvi-q.

twinturbo

It's also worth mentioning that the device grip is different in Auvi-q than typically you'd used for EpiPen. Auvi-q is more about pushing down with your palm rather the. depending more on a finger/fist grasp for injection. With an Auvi-q your fingers are more for positioning then I'd say your engaging your chest and shoulder to help push with your palm while your fingers just hold the device in place. Not sure if others would agree with it? But that's for self inject and my real experience is using it on my kids but even then it's more of a push with the palm instead of fingergrip, not that I've had any difficulty using an EpiPen in the past. Back to the self inject because I have to consider injecting myself while under duress I think I prefer the form of Auvi-q, particularly the voice to urge me on direction and the palm push release. Then again, flipcap versus friction release to prep for injection also would be a factor for grip and finger strength.

Ciel

Quote from: SilverLining on January 25, 2013, 03:46:13 PM
Now available in Canada http://www.allerject.ca/ .

Free trainers available.

Not yet listed on the formulary, but I'm hoping it will be covered.

Thank you! I'm glad I read through the thread because I couldn't manage to find this on my own. Just ordered my trainer & I can't wait to get a good look at it.

Edit: I couldn't find it because it is called Allerject and I was searching for Intelliject.

Mfamom

one thing I just noticed on my ds Auvi-Q is that the expiration date/lot number is worn off i guess from being in his pocket. 
UGH. 
The other thing I don't like and I've already compensated for this, is that the trainer is in black/white/gray
so, if you are training someone, be sure that you show them that the REAL one is Bright red/blue etc.
My dh pointed out that the person you train may take in the details of the colors and go hunting for the white thing when it is really RED. 

Committee Member Hermes

SilverLining

Can anyone please post the DIN for the Auvi-Q. (I think DIN's are the same in both countries). 

Macabre

Is that a Drug Idenrification Number? How would I be able to tell it apart from the lot number?

Does your pharmacist have it?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

SilverLining

It is the Drig Identification Number.  It should be written on it.  It's also written on the Prescription Receipt.  (The one used to claim under insurance or income tax deduction)

yelloww

I picked ours up today!!! Two pack with a trainer. With the website coupon, it was $20 out of pocket. Same price as I pay for Epi's.

I was in CVS the week it went on the market and it was $260 without the coupon. The pharmacist today was the same one who ran the cost before for me. So after I paid for it, we took it out right there in the store and showed it and the trainer to the pharmacy staff. They thought it was too cool and then they were wondering why the reps hadn't trained them or shown them it yet.

MandCmama

Just an FYI for everyone- onespot allergy posted on her blog this weekend that once you remove the safety, unlike epi pen, contents are no longer sterile. So be sure you're ready!
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

yelloww

Ok, so we took it out if the container, but didn't take the cap off. Apparent it needs to stay in the case to avoid light exposure too.

QsMommy

Hi,

I just picked up the Allerject . 

It was covered by my plan, with similar copayment as epi.

Cost was $104.65.  Similar to epipen.

DIN 2382067

Free trainer and case is available to order on their site.

Ali
Canada

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview