FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: FDA approves auvi-Q (epinephrine auto injecter)  (Read 45443 times)

Description: ON THE MARKET NOW!!

Offline SilverLining

Re: FDA approves auvi-Q (epinephrine auto injecter)
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2012, 08:45:22 PM »

for instance, at school, my ds carries ONE autoinjector, so the design of this will be more convenient for him to carry.  Also, for a boy, will hopefully be easier/more convenient to carry.  Right now we have twinject, so technically he does have 2 doses.

What does your son do in the instance of the injector misfiring or the needle getting bent?

Can't answer for Mfa, but my son carries one epi, and there is a spare in the school office.

twinturbo

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 06:00:16 AM »

I guess in your case, if one misfired you could use the injector for another person.

If you mean between the four mixed-lot EpiPen, Jr. I carry for two children, yes the pediatric doses are the same. Although I'm not sure what this has to do with the AQ?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 06:46:55 AM »
I assume Maeve was saying you that instead of carrying two for each kid all the time you could carry fewer and if needed use the other kid's on the one having a reaction. 

In day to day life it doesn't make sense to carry all those Epis. The likelihood of everyone having anaphylaxis isn't very high, right?  I could see how if you are going to be away from a city it would make sense. But even for the kids, carrying three rather than four would still give you the second Epi should you require it.

Perhaps your kids have the same allergies and always eat the same exact things so if one is having anaphylaxis the other likely would?

I have food allergies and DS has them and as soon as he could go to a regular Epi, his doc (was also my doc) moved him. He was a couple of pounds shy actually, but our doc thought it was fine--so I didn't have to carry four Epis in my purse.  Even now, I carry two unless we're on a trip. DS also has one if he's with me.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:53:16 AM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 07:28:10 AM »
I'll have to respectfully decline the suggestion to reduce the two mixed-lot EAI carried per child. I'm sure you'll guess specific circumstances in play.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 07:33:31 AM »
One for one it's not much different but six at all times it would permit me during a NE winter to save my one deep pocket that can hold tubes to go down to three then my two other inner pockets are more squares than deep rectangles. Try finding one pocket in any jacket that can accommodate an entire pack of hot dogs.

I guess in your case, if one misfired you could use the injector for another person.

for instance, at school, my ds carries ONE autoinjector, so the design of this will be more convenient for him to carry.  Also, for a boy, will hopefully be easier/more convenient to carry.  Right now we have twinject, so technically he does have 2 doses.

What does your son do in the instance of the injector misfiring or the needle getting bent?
The nurse has his extra one as well as epi pens "at large".
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 07:42:58 AM »
Twinturbo I wasn't trying to offer medical advice or a full suggestion really.  Just putting forth a possible scenario. Obviously I wouldn't want to counter any advice your doctor has given you or what you have found to be a safe plan.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2012, 07:44:19 AM »
And I carry mixed lots, too, fwiw. I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

twinturbo

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2012, 07:56:20 AM »
No worries. Any way you look at it options are a plus. Like Mfamom I cross my fingers that the Edwards brothers designed a more guy friendly shaped device. As in touch as my oldest is with his feminine side I'm not seeing a purse working out for him.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 07:59:45 AM »
I just wish each had two injectors.  I can see DS not wanting to carry two of these things and his phone.

Really I'm grateful. I just wish design would keep up with the need.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 08:00:53 AM »
in MS, my ds attended a lot of BarMitzvah parties, social parties at school...wearing dress pants, tie and blazer.  so difficult to carry epi pen.  Seems like this new design will help with that...easier to put in a shirt pocket or inside coat pocket. 
I also like the audio guidance!
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline maeve

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2012, 08:29:28 AM »
McC was sort of right about my point but I was really saying/asking, that in order to have two doses with you, you'd still be carrying six injectors.  Only now, they'd be smaller and square.  That may or may not save space.  However, in reply to my post about the space issue twinturbo said she'd carry fewer, and that's when I wondered what she would do if this item misfired and she needed a second dose. 

DD carries two doses with her and it's easier because she's a girl; though she was the only 10 year old carry a purse and is probably one of the few in 6th grade who does.  The nurse also has two doses.  I don't mix the lots in what DD carries with what the nurse has because of different expiry dates and insurance issues.  Our insurance only allows up to purchase one twinpack per month and school requires that the expiry date on the EpiPens provided go past the end of the school year.  So during summer camp and until it expires in the fall, DD carries the pens from the previous school year (as do I); that's how we stagger our purchases.

DD was very intrigued by the Auvi-Q and wants to get one.  However, I'll have to see how insurance handles it. If it has a high copay for only one vs. our current copay for a twin pack, then we'll likely stick with the EpiPen.  I'd also have to see what school prefers. It's likely, they'll want EpiPens.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

twinturbo

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 08:42:01 AM »
Well, I didn't go in to details because I didn't think the contents of my jacket were interesting enough to waste bandwith on, but...

My ideal carry is 3 EpiPen, Jr. in my big pocket they will be temperature stable and I believe I can nestle one AQ ped in between them and my ribcage so the flat square is against my body. In on other smaller square pocket I will carry one adult AQ for myself dropping mine to one dose. I'm a lesser risk and the EMS in my geographic area will administer for adults across the board.

It's about the diversity of dimension in a smart coverage given the totality of circumstances. I personally prefer and would use EpiPen, Jr. as a first line for the kids relying on AQ ped as our backup. Given our ER's philosophy and response time from their pharmacy even during anaphylaxis a pre-dosed AQ on hand is better than waiting 45 minutes for their generic syringed dose.

Thus is the fascinating story of my jacket contents.

Offline maeve

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 09:58:25 AM »
twinturbo,
I'm sorry.  I didn't mean for you to go into so much detail.  It's really none of my concern. 
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »
Actually, I find it incredibly interesting to see all the different kinds of things we do to keep safe.  And frankly, seeing info about using different lots and making sure at least some pens are in a more stable temp can be extremely helpful for newbies! 

So thanks Twinturbo (autocorrect just renamed you Twinkie--technology is amazing).  :)

We'll also stick with Epis for school.  That's what they know how to use. And I will stick with Epis for my purse.  I assume that the AQ will be more expensive and the Epis are fine for my purposes.  I will get two for DS though. If insurance doesn't pony up that may not be until we sell out house.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »
We're definitely considering an AuviQ for DD to carry when she isn't with us.  The audio instructional component and her reaction history makes it VERY appealing if she is alone/with peers.  I'm looking forward to actually seeing a trainer to get an accurate sense of size.

It's incredibly annoying that we couldn't use Twinject, since that is the one that DD liked the best, actually.

We anticipate the same problem insurance-wise as Maeve does with this one.  Same insurance, basically.  <sigh>

We carry a pair of autoinjectors each, DD and I-- mixed lots-- so we have two pairs, and we each take half.  If that makes sense, I mean.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.