FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: FDA approves auvi-Q (epinephrine auto injecter)  (Read 45462 times)

Description: ON THE MARKET NOW!!

twinturbo

Re: FDA approves auvi-Q (epinephrine auto injecter)
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 11:22:38 AM »
Somewhere upthread I think I put a link to Sanofi's statement that they'll provide a three-pronged support measure including twisting the arm of insurance companies to reimburse (my interpretation) but also to potentially provide their injectors for low or no cost to "underserved" is how I believe they worded it. Whatever the case Sanofi seems poised to enter the market with gusto. That's good.

For school we're sticking with EpiPens as well.

haha... twinkie technology.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:34:43 AM by twinturbo »

twinturbo

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »

twinturbo

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2012, 10:38:56 AM »
I asked about availability at Sam's Club pharmacy, the pharmacist was at least aware of it coming available soon but not exactly when. While that's not much of an update it's encouraging that it's sooner than later if it's hit the pharmacist's radar.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »
on the website, there is a place you can fill out for updates of release of the device. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

twinturbo

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2012, 11:24:28 AM »
Not a single one has been issued since I submitted my email addy through their website many months ago. I've been getting my own updates through blogs, news releases, pharmacists.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
TT, thank you for updating here.  I agree, if pharmacists are aware of it, that probably means sooner.

I had sent them an e-mail to find out if they have applied in Canada yet and if they will be applying to have it covered under provincial policies.  I have not received a reply.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2012, 01:26:38 PM »
i understood it as you will receive an email when it is available in your area.  Maybe it isn't available near you. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

twinturbo

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »
That could be, Sanofi has also taken over most of the business end a while back anyhow much more post-lawsuit and settlement. Regardless, it's all I got.

Offline maeve

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
Did anyone see the Allergic Living article on the Auvi-Q.  It was very interesting and explained how the arrived at the size and thickness.  The explanation made perfect sense: If were thinner, it might break if someone sat on it.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Stinky6

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2012, 09:31:09 PM »
I just showed it to DS - he was not thrilled about having to stop watching minecraft videos for a minute....

until he saw the kid the in video - that's good advertisizing!  DS loves shirts like that - once he saw the boy he watched with full attention.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
I this was interesting:

http://www.asthmaallergieschildren.com/2013/01/12/auvi-q%E2%84%A2%E2%80%94thoughts-about-the-new-autoinjector/

Product basics: Auvi-Q™comes with two injector units and a trainer, which is colored differently and doesn’t have a needle, but is otherwise identical so that patients, parents, and caregivers can practice using the same audible and visual prompts as the injectors. The battery life for the trainer has enough juice for hundreds of practice sessions so the kids can show it to their friends until they get tired of it, and it will still have enough to instruct a rotating cast of teachers, grandparents, and baby sitters. The live injectors come in two strengths–one for small children and one for everyone else. For caregivers, there’s the added benefit that you never see a needle, and I can only imagine that some grandparent would feel less inhibited about using it for that reason. When you consider that a fraction of those who should carry an autoinjector actually do so, you can’t help but think that a version of Apple-ish intuitive usage and design might expand the numbers.

As to availability and pricing—it will be rolled out by the end of the current quarter and will be competitive with the competition, with the specific cost contingent on your insurance plan. Assistance will be forthcoming based on need like most costly pharmaceutical products.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:06:23 AM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2013, 03:46:13 PM »
Now available in Canada http://www.allerject.ca/ .

Free trainers available.

Not yet listed on the formulary, but I'm hoping it will be covered.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2013, 04:33:05 PM »
Oooooo.. wonder if we can pick one up in the Vancouver airport...   :misspeak:   :thumbsup:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »
Some enterprising soul went to an early demo.

http://multiplefoodallergyhelp.com/?p=1368

This is probably a bigger deal to someone like me that has only boys and has to carry a lot of EAIs. Even if there's room for improvement addressing form factor is huge progress. Please note the part of it must be replaces if dropped in toilet. Think about that... boys... pockets... dropping stuff. The misplacement issue and that it feels like a wallet or mobile device will need to be addressed behaviorally.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2013, 06:18:30 AM »
Makers of the epi-pen have been donating to schools, and referring to the "real" epinephrine auto-injector.

Makers of the Auvi-Q invited mommy bloggers.  They paid their travel expenses and asked for their opinions.  I've read a few of the blogs, so far the mommies all seem impressed.

This blogger is listing the others as they post about it.  http://www.gratefulfoodie.com/inspiring-we-met-the-auvi-q/