A question I forgot to ask the allergist

Started by hopechap, September 19, 2012, 08:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopechap

My son failed a peanut challenge a few years ago.  Passed the morning hidden peanut and failed the afternoon overt. He passed all tree-nuts with the exception of walnuts.

We had our last appointment in June and instead of seeing my regular Dr. I ended up seeing Sicherer because he had some cancellations.  He did not recommend challenges this year because my son's SPT was significant.

I asked about desenitization since we are down to two nuts.  He said that my son would probably outgrow so he wouldn't bother. 

That was reassuring. But given some past reactions -- not so sure. Such as vomiting immediately after being given Attrovent and a few hives after eating a wrapped candy that was in a bag with Mary Janes. 

He tests positive to peanut proper on the new test -- but not a very high score.

My question is -- is there any advantages to outgrowing vs. forcing tolerance with desensitization?   Or is it all the same? 

It seems that one probably is going to be wary all ones life anyway -- but if we could have more assurance that eating the wrong thing might not be so terrible -- I'd feel easier about certain summer sleepaway camps and other situations.
So why wait?

Also - he was seeing Dr. Li at the time of the challenge and had been on chinese meds for almost a year. They knew this - it was documented -- but no one mentioned that perhaps this was why he passed morning.  I am no longer on the chinese herbs because of cost and honestly, I could not do the once monthly visits to the city and the expensive herbs without the hope that we would eliminate the allergy.  But no one seems to have considered that the peanut challenge may have been affected -- sort of like taking antihistamines before an allergy appointment. 

So -- would you start looking into Duke or do as Dr. says and just wait?

twinturbo

We see Sicherer and Li as well and I hear you on getting in and out of the city plus herbal medicine costs. We've found both Sicherer and Li extremely available over email. One first stop might be asking both to clarify the assessment under those conditions. They are both phenomenal doctors and deliver top notch care but my impression is also they have about a bazillion different things going on at all times so sometimes email is a great way to reach them for specific questions at their convenience.

That way you can put a period at the end of the sentence with Sinai, its protocols and assessment before moving on to Duke. You could also have something in hand to pass from doctor to doctor rather than act as a go-between. That's incredible that Sicherer thinks likely to outgrow crossing fingers for you.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview