login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: need a peanut/tree nut free protein powder, shakes and bars  (Read 17731 times)

Description:

Offline Lilanne

need a peanut/tree nut free protein powder, shakes and bars
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
Hi, does anyone know of a peanut/tree nut free protein powder to use for my son with food allergies.  Also looking for safe shakes and bars too. 
Thanks,

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: need a peanut/tree nut free protein powder, shakes and bars
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 11:33:21 AM »
I don't know about shakes and protein powder, but you can go on peanutfreeplanet.com for energy bars.

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 02:54:39 PM »
Genisoy used to label for shared facilities. At the time their labels read safe on some soy powders and snacks.

Offline Irene

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »
I've used Beneprotein (Whey protein powder) from Nestle - had to order it online though.  The Pediasure shakes are okay too.

Offline Lilanne

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:51:50 PM »
thanks everyone, I saw some protein drinks  by Special K that look safe, I'm going to call and check them out.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 10:08:25 AM »
Be careful with Special K - I'm not sure about the shakes, but DS has had a reaction to Special K bars even though there's no warning label and when calling Kelloggs claims they're safe.  You might look and see if WalMart has their brand equivalent to those shakes because they're much better about labeling for cross contamination.

When DS was very young (before milk was a problem), he used to really like the Slim Fast dark chocolate shakes.  They were safe then, but that was 10-12 years ago.  It was the only way we could get him to gain weight - drink a Slim Fast with his meal instead of as a meal replacement.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »
Vermont Nut Free makes protein power nuggets called MetaBalls or something similarly chuckle inducing if you're given to sophomoric humor-which DH & I are.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 05:16:29 PM »
LOL.  I share that humor. 

Ever see the Shweddy balls" SNL skit? 

Back to protein powders...  There are some at Trader Joes, and the label reads okay, but you might want to call.   Just pulled out my can.  it is not a Trader Joe's label, but called "Designer Whey" protein. 

Assuming you are only avoiding PN/TN, the label has a statement that it "contains milk and soy products."  I use it in smoothies for the kids or myself, and have NOT called on it. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline RosiesMom

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 07:58:20 PM »
We found a high quality, peanut/nut free low carb protein powder. No artificial stuff. The allergen warning on label is......Contains milk and trace amounts of soy(lecithin)
A bit expensive if you order 1 or 2. Well worth it for safety and quality.
We bought a bunch to bring the cost down.
I like it because it contains time released protein so you don't feel hungry right away.

Biotrust is the name.
Go to Biotrust.com

We really love the flavor. (dealing with PA)

Offline Irene

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 10:27:44 PM »
http://avalanchebars.com/

I think these nut-free energy bars are delicious, although my son (who has the FA) did not like them as much as I did!  They were great as a back-up meal while traveling.