login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hummus without tahini  (Read 19874 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

Hummus without tahini
« on: March 01, 2013, 02:13:56 PM »
I know hummus is pretty easy to make, but does anybody know of a brand without tahini?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Hummus without tahini
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 02:15:10 PM »
I don't.

There are "bean dips" that might be quite similar, but I doubt that they'd be marketed as "hummus" without the tahini.  I think it's integral/inherent.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »
I've looked in the past and had no luck.  Usually make my own but it's not that great.  Now if you'd like a black bean salsa dip for your chips - I can share a good recipe for that!  We use that instead of hummus.

hk

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:39:06 PM »
Sadly, no.  I have looked a lot too.  I make my own.  It's good, but not great.  Adding ice water seems to have some benefit and extra olive oil is essential.  Good luck!

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 07:36:37 PM »
 :-/ hmmm, oh well.  Thanks anyway.  DD does like to cook (maybe she can help)... you should hear her imitate the "Top Chef" judges ... it's hilarious.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »
We make our own--so easy.  And DS has been making it for the last five years or so.  You can take any been if garbanzos get old--fava, black bean, etc.  I used to have a thread in the original place.  We should start one here.  Because if we find interesting variations, it'd really be worth sharing.  :yes:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline gufyduck

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 10:29:25 AM »
Unless it was in a sesame free plant, I really don't think I'd be comfortable with the possibility/likelihood of cross contamination. 

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »
We make our own--so easy.  And DS has been making it for the last five years or so.  You can take any been if garbanzos get old--fava, black bean, etc.  I used to have a thread in the original place.  We should start one here.  Because if we find interesting variations, it'd really be worth sharing.  :yes:

Good idea  :)

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 03:58:14 PM »
Unless it was in a sesame free plant, I really don't think I'd be comfortable with the possibility/likelihood of cross contamination.

Yes, cross-contam is always something to consider.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 11:28:42 AM »
The tahini is what makes it hummus, I think.  BIL would say so.  He is Lebanese and makes it weekly.  I think I once put some sunbutter in it and it was ok.  It dis add something to it.  But extra olive oil, and lemon and garlic help.  the texture is off without tahini. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

van

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »
lilly's hummus - the flavored ones are made without tahini. :)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »
Oh man, for a second I got very excited. If you're referring to this brand, theyndo indeed have tahini

Here's the list of ingredients for the original one:
http://www.lillyshummus.com/plain.htm
Ingredients: Organic Garbanzo Beans, Olive Oil, Sesame Tahini, Lemon Juice, Sea-Salt, Garlic, Citric Acid

I see it in four if their products. Some don't have it, but unless they are made on dedicated sesame-free lines, I would not chance it. And in a place that only makes hummus I would need to know about their policies for handling sesame and avoiding cross contamination.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 01:05:42 PM »
McC, it is very easy to make it without adding Tahini.  Just mix it up with a hand blender or food processor.  Use olive oil for richness. Chick peas, Garlic, lemon and salt and any other flavoring you desire after that.  Cilantro and heat are good in it.  You can try adding some sunbutter if you want a closer texture. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »
Funny you should post that--I made some an hour ago for a concert picnic this evening!

Yeah, that's what we do, but we don't add sunbutter. We did once back in 2006 or so but like it without it. DS has been making hummus since we lived in Houston--so 2006 or so. It's really a go-to picnic food for us (we don't take sandwiches but things like hummus, cheese, veggies and fruit).

It's just that having a store bought version would be cool. And, of course unwanted to clarify what "sesame free" meant in the post above mine. Unless its on dedicated equipment, I wouldn't consider Lilly's hummus to be sesame free.

Paineh

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 03:32:59 AM »
Trader joes has a tahini free hummus that we always buy.  It has red writing on the label and is sold in a large container. Very good!