login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: M&M's now a may contain for wheat?  (Read 2624 times)

Description:

Offline YouKnowWho

M&M's now a may contain for wheat?
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:57:21 PM »
Okay, this may not be the board to ask, but I thought I would since there are others dealing with different allergies.

DS1 is not a fan of M&M's (thanks to a stupid error on my part where I fed him Canadian Smarties which are fine for nut allergies, not good for the wheat allergic). 

Unfortunately they are often used for math projects where he is touching them.  This is where the may contain for wheat becomes problematic.  I read on an old blog it was the mint and pretzel ones only but saw a label recently where it clearly stated on a large bag of regular M&M's that it was a may contain for wheat. 

Ugh.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: M&M's now a may contain for wheat?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 10:44:53 PM »
Oh no!  I'd call when you get the chance.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 12:31:34 PM »
I have 2 pkgs of m&m's in the house, 1 medium bag of regular and 1 bag of minis.  Both say "contain milk and soy" and "may contain peanuts".  No mention of wheat.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 07:42:27 PM »
Went looking today since it was just Em and myself.  Other than the pretzel variety, not a single bag said "may contain wheat".  But I have seen the label twice recently.  Nothing new on the Celiac board though.

Why oh why can they just not use Skittles or better yet, no food?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:16:17 PM »
Went looking today since it was just Em and myself.  Other than the pretzel variety, not a single bag said "may contain wheat".  But I have seen the label twice recently.  Nothing new on the Celiac board though.

Why oh why can they just not use Skittles or better yet, no food?

I know.  I could never understand why a one-time purchase of beads or buttons isn't a better option.  Personally, I don't remember using physical objects to learn to count.  I do remember doing lots of workbook pages that had us count pictures of logs, pencils, pennies, etc.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 02:51:30 PM »
I am with you Maeve, always have said that.  It is candy corn at Halloween, candy hearts at Valentine's, M&Ms in between, and on it goes.  Makes much more sense to get a set of beads or buttons!  Coins work very well too. 

That said, I have not seen that warning for wheat on M&Ms yet, but we do not see them often.  Ds just had a box this weekend, though.  Makes sense with the pretzel variety, though.  If on the same equipment.  Skittles are much more allergy friendly, but I am sure the dye bothers some. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy