FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "Field Trip" to Chik fil A?!  (Read 4467 times)

Description: It just keeps getting better ...

Offline ctmartin

"Field Trip" to Chik fil A?!
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:58:31 PM »

Boy, I have found myself here a lot over the past couple of weeks ... just goes to show you how every year is different because of different teachers.  This one is proving difficult, but thankfully the administration is good in backing me up.

So, teacher stops me in the hall today ... catches me totally off guard, as I am going to pick up my little one and this is my PA older daughter's teacher.  She said that the 2nd grade usually goes on a "field trip" to chik fil a (wha?) and that she *just* found out that chik fil a uses peanut oil.  So, she asked me what I thought, and, catching me off guard I could only answer that I would check with my allergist!

OMG ... this is wrong on so many levels.  We have never eaten at Chik fil a, but I know that there are some PA kids that do so.  Dr. Burks (formerly at Duke) told us that peanut oil *should* be OK, but do I trust it?  This makes me mad because if it were truly an educational field trip, that might make it a bit different, but I have never heard of a 2nd grade class going to chik fil a on a field trip?  When I asked what they would be doing, she said touring the kitchen, watching people prepare the food, and making their own ice cream (I don't even know if their ice cream is safe, but I am assuming it is the soft serve type?)

Anyone with any experience with Chik fil a and its safety for PA kids, please post if you could!  I am leaning toward no, but if someone has a different opinion or experience I would love to hear it.  Thanks guys!!  Slowly getting irritated with this school that I have loved for 2 years now ...  :rant:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: "Field Trip" to Chik fil A?!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »
When my DS was a toddler he would scream if I pulled up to CFA. I couldn't figure it out. I waited about a year and then went. No screaming. So I ordered some bites for him. He developed a rash around his mouth and on his chin. It hasn't been there before and cleaning his face and hands took care of it.

Dr. Burks told us he must have really been allergic to egg or milk at that time. He wasn't (earlier in his life he could only do yogurt without incident but nit by then).

DS also had a reaction that involved lethargy and vomiting after eating chips fried in regular peanut oil.

That said, our church's kids group occasionally went to a CFA and DS was fine not eating there.

In 6th grade the teen living class at his middle school planned to go there to practice ordering, paying, etc., but they just didn't go. I did find that a salad would have been fine for him (he is vegetarian--since he was 7).  But they didn't go.

I'm guessing a trip to Wendy's would be just as educational.

Or you know, maybe a museum or the ballet instead? 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 01:49:57 PM »
I react to peanut oil, so it's not okay for all PA people (as McC's DS and I can attest).  Really it seems like a pointless field trip - more like a food reward than anything educational.  I doubt being around pn oil would cause me to react, but in a fast food place the grease coats everything so I would not be comfortable eating there.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline tnmom

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 03:31:17 PM »
Anyone with any experience with Chik fil a and its safety for PA kids, please post if you could!

Well, I will tell you that my dd is severely to pb, both by touch and inhalation, and we eat at Chick-fil-a about twice a week. (Actually, it's just about the only protein I can get her to eat anymore.)  She doesn't eat anything fried in the peanut oil, though, mainly because she is also allergic to egg, which most of their fried items contain.  She eats the grilled nuggets, the waffle fries (canola oil), Polynesian sauce, and fruit.  She also loves their sweet tea and lemonade.  She can't have the Icedream because it contains egg.

We eat inside often and she plays in the playground a lot.  She is also around us when we eat the fried items in the peanut oil without incident ever.  (Generally, if someone else eats peanuts/pb around her, she at least gets a few hives and black eyes.) 

So for me personally, I would be fine with the tour. (My dd actually says she wants to work there when she's old enough...not sure about that one.)  Of course, I would go with her on the FT.  I always go on all field trips.....sigh.   :-/

Offline yelloww

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »
Oh heck no. What could your child be brining home from there that could contaminate your house? They may as well do a field trip to 5 Guys because once you say yes to one peanut place, what's the difference?! (In their minds. KWIM)

There are no other educational field trip options in your area? Just tell her and don't think twice about it.

twinturbo

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 07:36:21 PM »
Has your DD ever had overt heat-extruded peanut oil before in significant amounts? At that age she's bound to be aware enough to know she'd be eating it. How does or would she feel about it in general and also within the context of a field trip that's enjoyable for everyone else. There's accepting the risk as a parent then there's how is it going to play out for child? Not saying no one doesn't think it but I see it two ways, maybe more than what the risk alone is.

We have an upcoming field trip to a hatchery soon. Egg allergy here. We've always made it a point to go to farms even though they have egg and the hatchery, gosh, going to pick allergist's brain on that one. But a chain restaurant that's leaning more towards fast food. I'd be like wut?

On the other hand if heat extruded peanut oil isn't a problem you found yourself a new place and possibly threshold. The other factor would be MFA or is it only peanut to worry about?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:43:40 PM by twinturbo »

Offline ctmartin

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 08:55:36 PM »

Hi, all,

Thanks for your responses!  I am so thoroughly confused now, but I may just be over thinking it.  For starters, we have never eaten at Chik fil a, nor has my daughter ever had any type of peanut oil (we are dealing with peanut and sesame).  I have been told that they will not be eating anything except ice cream, and I *think* she is old enough to know she needs to be careful and not touch anything.  Of course, being in the restaurant and being all over the kitchen are two very different things.  Recently we declined an invitation to a birthday party at a chocolate factory, even though they said they would have something safe for her to work with in the kitchen there.  The reason being, we figured the whole place would be contaminated with peanut, and I think my daughter is questioning why I would even consider this now.  Good point TT (her feelings about the trip), and one I only started to really think about tonight when she expressed her thoughts.  She knows that I would never deliberately put her in harm's way, but she did express anxiety about it anyway.  I myself am wondering why I would even consider it?

Well, like many others here, I *try* to ask for the fewest accommodations as possible, and I definitely like to choose my battles.  I guess if I were to push the issue, I would feel somewhat guilty because, truth be told, I simply think it is a terrible "field trip," allergy notwithstanding.  First of all, we are at no shortage for field trips.  I am not sure when this is planned for, but we have two field trips just this month, to see the Philharmonic and to see the Magic Treehouse stage performance.  I do not like field trips because I know that accidents are more likely to happen outside of the normal school routine, and obviously I feel obligated to attend each and every one to ensure her safety.  However, these two field trips mentioned above are completely worthwhile, so I just roll with the punches, and since there is no food involved (at least not with our school ... there are other schools present), I feel the risk is pretty minimal.

This Chik fil A trip, though, is another story.  It serves no real educational purpose, is a *potential* risk for my daughter and one she is not too excited about, and obviously I would feel obligated to attend as well.  I guess I just answered my own question ... ?!

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 07:11:31 AM »
Allergies aside for a moment.....what is the educational benefit of a field trip to Chik Fil A????  I find that mind boggling!  There's got to be a better place to go.

Offline yelloww

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »
Unless perhaps there's a follow up lesson in health class about the nutritional content of what was prepared there????  :misspeak:

Offline ctmartin

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »

totally agree ... there is absolutely no educational (not to mention nutritional) benefit to this trip, and frankly is it sad to think this was even a thought in the teacher's mind!  i don't understand where they come up with this stuff?!  we have a caterer that works out of our kitchen at school if the teachers *really* wanted the kids to have a lesson in food preparation. 

our school is still very much in the learning stages WRT FA, but they are pretty receptive to change.  there are many parents of younger kids that have become even more vocal than when i came to the school over two years ago.  DESPITE THIS, my younger daughter who is NKA and in preschool at the same school went on a field trip today to a CONVENIENCE STORE!  okay, so i am thinking that because of its downtown location, they do not have a supermarket close by (and i know that is a popular "field trip" for preschools in this area) and they simply must settle for what is nearby.  i postponed a presentation i had for work to accompany my daughter and not only was there no tour or educational value, the only reason they walked to this store was to BUY COOKIES!  and there are two kids with food allergies in this class who did not even enter the store!!

homeschooling is starting to look better and better, i tell you ...

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »
Allergies aside for a moment.....what is the educational benefit of a field trip to Chik Fil A????  I find that mind boggling!  There's got to be a better place to go.

We went to McDonalds when I was in preschool as a "people in our community" type field trip.  We went to the fish hatchery, a farm, the police/fire station and I am pretty sure a host of others. 

Our second grade studies "people in the community" but on paper only.  Our field trips were extremely limited due to budget constraints.  They also studied state history (btw, it is never a good idea for your child to read about Jimmy Carter on his own in an adult encyclopedia unless you want to explain "lust in my heart").  Wondering if your Core Curriculum is similar?

I know legally we don't have to do it but I totally get your reasoning about when to push - this is a field trip that I would have to skip with DS1 and DS2.  Just keep them home sick that day. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 01:13:20 AM »
Inclusion is important to me, but given the circumstances I might keep my child home that day and take him on an amazing field trip with mom.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 07:55:19 AM »
Inclusion is important to me, but given the circumstances I might keep my child home that day and take him on an amazing field trip with mom.

I agree.

One year when the school INSISTED they HAD to have an ice cream party to celebrate all the class learning multiplication tables, hubby and I took our child out of school that day and on field trip to Mt. Vernon.  After touring the main property (lots of times at the animal stables!), we had a picnic and ate it at the grist mill . . . it was late fall, so we got private tour of the grist mill and distillery.  Fun and fascinating. 

Maybe the field trip would have to be "day at work" with parent -- but I'd clear it ahead with employer and make it special, nonetheless.  I loved going to the university with my dad . . .
Pack a picnic lunch and have an outdoor lunch if you can -- or bring a tablecloth and have a desk picnic.  Give a mini notebook and colored pencils to be used to record the day in words and/or pictures . . . and take some photos too. 

Still shaking my head at the Chikfila.  Must be some parent's franchise, huh?  You KWIM.   ;)

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 10:30:11 AM »
It may not be a parent's franchise.  Honestly Chicfila does a huge amount of support within community schools - sponsorship for teams and various functions, school nights, etc.  I don't agree with what Dan Cathy has to say from a personal standpoint but I do love what they have done as a company for local schools and communities. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA