Auvi-Q heads up

Started by Mfamom, October 15, 2013, 07:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GingerPye

That's what I was thinking --- grab a Sharpie and write the expiration date on it.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

SilverLining

These are issues the manufacturer needs to fix.

The big selling point is that it's easy to carry without a purse, which in most cases is going to mean in a pocket.  If a carrier is required, they lose a lot of their customers.

Even though my insurance does not cover this, but does cover epi-pen, I planned to purchase ONE of these anyway.  Now, I'm going to wait.

spacecanada

Keep in mind, I'm not a teenage boy, I don't wear jeans (just trousers, athletic wear, and shorts), but I'm an athletic and adventurous adult.  I've had my Allerject in a pocket for seven months now (with keys, no less) and it only shows minimal wear: the label is peeling 1-2 mm from the edge, the label has taken a beating (little surface dents and scratches seen if you hold it up to the light, none that punctured or damaged the plastic layer of the label) but the area with the wording is perfectly legible.  The expiration date looks like it did when I took it out of the box.  I think it's held up fairly well so far.  Clear tape over the peeling label would certainly help.  I wonder if they made the plastic cover clear, with the words on the device inside instead of on a sticker label, if that would hold up better?
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

twinturbo

Quote from: CMdeux on October 16, 2013, 08:58:15 AM
Good point.

I wonder if a round of clear packing tape would be helpful in terms of keeping the paper sticker in place once it begins peeling like that?

Might be able to just WRITE the expiry on it, too, before covering it.

Sounds like a good hack. Overlay some clear clear packing tape when the device is new sort of like the function of a screen protector.

Mfamom

I gave ds the one I have in my purse and I put clear tape over expiration date and a piece of packing tape on the outer area where its peeling on the other one.
Its just something that I think they need to improve over time.  I love the device and the overall idea.  I like the idea of the outer part being clear and the writing on the inner part. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

SilverLining

When it does expire, will you send it to them then?

maeve

Quote from: CMdeux on October 16, 2013, 08:58:15 AM
Good point.

I wonder if a round of clear packing tape would be helpful in terms of keeping the paper sticker in place once it begins peeling like that?

Might be able to just WRITE the expiry on it, too, before covering it. 

I wonder if Modge Podge would work? I had thought that clear nail polish over the expiry might be worth a try.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

yelloww

ajasfolks2

I keep forgetting to ask our kids about theirs  . . . DS carries in pants pocket and DD carries in purse.  Will be interesting to compare.

Although, DS does have some EpiPens which are in his swim bag for swimming.

We only got 2 sets of AuviQ and one pair is at each school's nurse/clinic office.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

momtoAidenDeclan

DS's is in his SPIBelt - I'll need to check them out when I get home
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

spacecanada

Quote from: momtoAidenDeclan on October 17, 2013, 01:53:52 PM
DS's is in his SPIBelt - I'll need to check them out when I get home
How do you keep them from stacking in the SPIbelt?  I find they always stack on top of each other and annoy me as a result.  If you have a way to keep them side by side I'd love to know how.  :)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

MandCmama

Our boys carry in the spi belt. They look like the picture (sweaty little creatures they are). I'll take a peeling label- so much easier for little guys to carry! The ones in my purse and the ones dh carries from a bag clipped to his backpack are all looking brand new.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

lakeswimr

I think some people might find some school's refusing to give it if they can't see the exp date. 

Mfamom

Yes, that is what worried me, the ex date not being visible.  Also, if the entire label peels off, might not be easily identified.  I think the whole label will not peel off, but just seems like the outer packaging needs a revamp.
I will send it when it expires, i'll probably send another email with the picture and not put my phone number on it.
ours expires 4/2014
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

CDMom

My son's look like that, too.  He's 13 and loves to be able to have them in his pocket rather than carrying epi's in his spi-belt.  The packing tape works great.  I even used a black paint pen and wrote his name on them before I covered with the tape.  Next time, I'll do it as soon as we get new ones.  Hopefully, they will improve this.  I'm just thankful for them and how they improve the odds of teen boys carrying.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview