Baked Egg Challenge

Started by MaryM, October 23, 2013, 08:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryM

We are heading back to Mt. Sinai next Tuesday!  Both kids will be having a baked egg challenge.  I'm starting to get nervous.  I'm still having a hard time using milk or butter for baking (I do it, but it's hard) and it's been a year since our baked dairy  challenge.  I have no problem buying products with milk in them.  I emailed our nurse at Mt. Sinai,  Ingrid (I just love her!), because I wasn't sure if I should make the muffins with soy milk or cows milk.  I am to make them with cows milk. Oh my, I'm going to be a wreck, baking with milk and eggs. 

I've been talking to the kids about  the challenge and how it might not be a success for one or both of them.  We talked about how it's ok to be disappointed if it doesn't work out and that if it goes well for one and not the other we will be happy for the person who passes and disappointed for the other.  We will leave either way with new information about their allergies.  They both passed baked dairy and DS passed beef and an amoxicillin challenge.  I'm worried that they think they will automatically do well with baked egg because all of our other challenges at Mt. Sinai have gone so well.

Please keep us in your thoughts and if you pray, say a prayer for me please, that I can keep it together on Tuesday.  Thank goodness for DH, he is very calm and gets us all through these challenges!

spacecanada

I'll be thinking of you and your kids today.  Good luck with the challenge.  Whether they pass or not, you will have a better understanding of their allergies when you leave.  Take care and be sure to give us an update. 
:grouphug:
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

CMdeux

:heart:  You got it, Mary.  Good wishes coming your way.   :smooch:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

GingerPye

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Macabre

Oh wow!  You seem to be preparing them so well for it. I'll be crossing everything I've got.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

The kids are in good hands. Do you have anything else on the roster that day?

MaryM

Thanks everyone!  It's going to be a long few days.  No plans afterwards.  I figure if everyone is ok we will do a little sightseeing afterwards.  DS has been wanting to go to the top of the Empire State.

Hoping we can get the pizza challenge set up for December.

maeve

Good luck Mary M. You know the nurse at Hopkins told us with DD's baked egg challenge that it's not a pass/fail challenge but one to set the dose. So they really can't fail; they just might end up with a very small starting dose.

One awesome thing: If they can tolerate some baked egg, they should be able to get the flu shot.

Anyway, best of luck.  I'm still trying to get my kiddo to actually have baked egg in her diet. She's resistant and we're not forcing the issue.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

booandbrimom

Crossing my fingers!

I'm so encouraged to see so many more of our kids getting some things back. (And yes, MM, I totally agree that it's hard to cook with milk and weird to use it at all in the kitchen!)
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

MaryM

DS has a cold so we have to reschedule.  We are going in December.

Macabre

Oh no!  Well, I'm glad they were able to reschedule so soon.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

MaryM

We head out to NYC in a little over an hour.  Our baked egg challenge is at 1 today.  The muffins are baking and the kitchen has been decontaminated!  Wish us luck!

maeve

"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Janelle205

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview