FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: caramel wraps for apples  (Read 1670 times)

Description:

twinturbo

caramel wraps for apples
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »
Looking for a caramel wrap w/o direct egg or tree nut ingredient safe for PA. Shared lines with tree nuts and eggs ok. Has to be caramel wrap for apple. I can't do a homemade anything. I'll try Walmart for a GV brand available.

TIA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: caramel wraps for apples
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:11:06 AM »
Did you ever find anything?

I think that one might be able to 'fake' something like this with waxed paper/parchment and a microwave. 

Kraft caramels, about four or five, centered on wax paper or parchment, topped with additional parchment, and melted until just softened, then rolled flat and chilled.

I'm assuming this is for some kind of school project?

I'd tell them HOW to do it, and provide a roll of parchment paper and a bag of Kraft caramels.   :evil:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 11:17:59 AM »
lol, yep it was for school. You know what we ended up using was Pillsbury Caramel Apple frosting. A word of warning that it's sort of an optical illusion that unfortunately looks an awful lot like creamy peanut butter. It wasn't pleasant for His Royal Highness because I was on edge the whole time. My jar tells me you can melt the frosting and dip apples in it like a wrap. Concord brand may work for nut/egg I'm not sure because I only looked at their website and never found the actual product in the store.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »
{shudders}

Yeah, anything that looks like pb freaks me out-- a lot.  Rational part of the brain can know that it's fine, but-- still.  My fight-or-flight response still screams.  YK?

I'm all for making extra work the instigator's problem in instances like this.  That's just me, but I've found that over time, I can wear them down and they give up doing so much of this sort of thing if I make it more work for THEM rather than ME.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.