login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cambells (US specific)  (Read 2062 times)

Description: Is it safe?

Offline YouKnowWho

Cambells (US specific)
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:28:27 PM »
I wanted to split this off from the Great Value portion cream soups discussion.  I have avoided for DS1 for years because of his allergy to wheat and egg.  But I was curious for DS2 (PA only).

This is interesting -
http://www.campbellsoupcompany.com/connect-with-campbell/faq/faqtopic?kb=2074622&doc=937894&exp=Allergens

How does Campbell label the top eight allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, eggs, fish, wheat, soy, and shellfish)?

We follow all government regulations regarding product labeling. When any of these top eight allergens is present in any quantity, it will always be listed in our product ingredient statement.  We recommend that consumers evaluate each product based on its ingredient statement. To prevent possible cross-contact between products, we use an extensive and effective sanitation procedure between processing operations.

On the flip side, I was reading through their GF offerings and they mention Swanson's is GF.  Granted it has been years since we have used it but DS1 reacted every single time.  When I look at the Great Value ingredients, they read identical but says shared wheat lines (which is where my ding ding ding bell went off).

What are your thoughts??  Lip service or truth?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Jessica

Re: Cambells (US specific)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 02:22:26 PM »
One thing that bothers me a little about campbell's is that a few of their soups have peanut oil and they do have it on the ingredient list, but they can't seem to be bothered to put it in bold or anything. Add that to the fact that some of their products have a mile-long ingredient list that is hard to read. So we've just been avoiding most campbell's items.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »
"in any quantity"

I read that as colloquial for "if we think there is a real risk-- like, if there's a REALLY lot of it," but I'm pretty cynical at this point.

SOMETHING in some Campbell's soups makes DH break into hives.  It's reproducible, and yet we have no idea what it is-- though the list of suspects is rather limited.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Linden

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:17:53 PM »
"in any quantity"

I read that as colloquial for "if we think there is a real risk-- like, if there's a REALLY lot of it," but I'm pretty cynical at this point.

Yep. I called them a few years ago and was told they clean the lines and label for "May Contain" only if they think there is still a risk. 
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »
I think I will pass for now - I generally have single servings of chicken soup in the freezer.  There was a character variety that caught DS2's eye.  I may be able to get away with buying some fun pasta to toss in the soup.  I did feel bad because he was also attracted to a Krapt Mac N Cheese with characters that day as well.  But he recognized the Krapt name right away and knew it was verboten in my kitchen.  He is not a child who hears no often in regards to food allergies (as opposed to DS1 who hears it way more often).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA