Carry case for Auvi-Q for runner or other athlete?

Started by ajasfolks2, December 01, 2014, 07:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajasfolks2

DS (grade 10) is tall, slim, athletic.  The spibelt or variations of don't really work to hold AuviQ (he wants it under his running shirt, aaaaaargh) as they annoy him, move, or are not comfortable.

Anyone try an iPhone arm/wrist case for carrying AuviQ?  Of course, this would mean he would wear 2 arm cases -- one for iPHone and other for AuviQs?

We are lucky that he does not carry an inhaler, so we don't have to manage that too.

Needs to be able to handle real sweat, longdistance running . . . and then what the heck about temperature if on his wrist rather than around his warm body core (thinking cold winter runs)?

We have exhausted our supply of Spibelts and a couple of different designs of amphipods.

Help!!  What we don't want is DS taking on the attitude that he can run without carrying AuviQ.
He still won't wear any case or carry pack that is visible to anyone . . . holdover from the brutal bullying he endured in elementary and middle school.

When he is not doing sport, he carries the AuviQ pair in a cargo pocket or front jeans pocket.  iPhone is in other front pocket or cargo pocket.  Always.

~ ~ ~

Also back to looking for small waterproof case to carry iPhone with AuviQs to put into swim backpack.  Needs to be easy to spot in his backpack -- like a bright color or clear so can see the AuviQs.  I may start at Overton's or other marine / boating supply for this.  Anyone have something they already use and love? 

Kid is also carrying older iPhone that is not the huge 6, so size is easier to manage for a case too.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

ajasfolks2

The more I look at runner/ athlete strap on cases for iPHone, the more I realize what a PIA this is going to be as those cases are for iPhone without Otter case on it -- so the pocket on the case is pretty slim.  I would doubt 2 AuviQs would fit inside?  Anyone have firsthand experience?

BensMom

This for swimming? Not sure if you want something for an indoor pool or for the beach when it's hot out.
http://www.allergyapparel.com/insulated-wallet-pmp/

There are some other waterproof ones (non-insulated) there also.

This for running? Seems like it would weigh down his waistband, but maybe it would work. It hooks on with magnets. Hmm, maybe I'll get one of these for ds.
http://www.allergyapparel.com/buddy-mini/

Macabre

Ajas we have a thread where there were two ideas that might work. I can't search for them right now but wanted to alert you to them. One is a cool band around your waist.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

ajasfolks2

I think what my son wants/needs for swim is not to have in the pool, but safely around the pool, locker room, and in wet-risk swim backpack.  The link for that from Bensmom might work . . . 

He seems opposed to anything around his waist at this point for running.  His running is also combined with other dryland workout -- planks, situps, pushups, etc . . . so that's also why wants it on upper arm and not waist.  I won't be surprised, however, if he takes off at this point and just guards it next to him?

I dunno . . . trying really hard to find the "perfect" thing that will mean his AuviQs really DO stay with him.
And he really should also have cellphone too -- especially for long runs away from house and more remote.

~ ~ ~

Which makes me think of summer running now and how he may start using a camelback for water. Haven't seen the newer versions of these -- do they have pocket(s) for cellphone?  Maybe an AuviQ would also fit in there too?

Might as well work on that one too while I'm at it.

ajasfolks2

ajasfolks2

Of everything there, for DS's needs and wants, the Phillips Compression sleeve might be best for running.

ETA -- OOOH!  Even better:  NXE ActiveSleeve!

Might have to just get one to try and see if 2 AuviQs will fit . . . looks so slim so far as the pocket for phone that I don't think I'll get 2 inside?  And if for iPhone, would only hold the phone if the Otter case is removed . . .

But, heck.  Now I'm seeing a couple of other products that would work for *me* to have iPHone on me when I'm way out in the garden.

ajasfolks2

Can I buy neoprene somewhere like a fabric store?  (Ha -- guess I could cannibalize that wet suit of mine that is too small and will never fit me again) . . .

becca

My dd does not wear her epis for sports but has them nearby.  She does *not* do cross country, only track and soccer, and basketball, so her personal items are by the side of the field or court.  So, no special carrier.  Sorry, not helpful.  But yes, there have been threads on this very topic.  Maybe by momtoaandd?  Her son does cross country. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

spacecanada

Lululemon has pockets (for fuel gels) in their running shorts and crops that are perfectly sized for Allerjects/Auvi-Q's.  That's how I carry mine around almost all the time when running and working out (daily).  They can get in the way for hand release push ups (because hips are constantly hitting the ground), but I just take them out, give them to my personal trainer to hold, and put them back right away.  I've turned faithful to their company for this feature alone - it's worth it to me because it's just so easy and convenient.  The men's running shorts have similar pockets in the waistband, just make sure you get a style with two pockets (some only have one).  You really do get used to them being there and they aren't bothersome after a few days.  (When not wearing Lululemon bottoms, I wear two EpiPens in a SPIbelt because I haven't found a better option for carrying the Allerjects, sadly.)

Otherwise, the Flipbelt looks promising if his waist is within their size range, and it can be moved around and out of the way so it won't be bothersome when doing any particular activity.  It should hold two Allerjects and a phone.  I haven't found any other phone case/accessory that will hold two Allerjects.  (Well, besides an old flip phone case that clips onto your belt loop, but that's no different than a KozyEpi duo Allerject case.)

As for arm band carriers, if he is carrying TWO Allerjects/Auvi-Qs, I'm not really sure what options exist unless his arms are huge.  Two injectors are quite bulky.  SPIbelt makes an armband pouch similar to their waist pouches, but may be too bouncy with two injectors.  (I have the same problem with Allerjects and SPIbelts.) You may be able to ask the team at KozyEpi to make a Duo Allerject case with an adjustable or elastic band on the back for around his arm.  (Or get a Duo case and do some DIY sewing at home or a tailor shop to add an arm band.)

For water activities, I find little clear waterproof bags (for electronics) from sporting goods stores work incredibly well for places with high humidity and accidental water exposure like beside the pool or on the beach.  We have an Aquapac case and a Pelican Box for activities where the injectors will be submerged or at risk of falling in the water (i.e. boating, kayaking, snorkelling).  Both are from MEC, our major sporting goods store - try REI in America.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

CMdeux

We have had pretty good luck with cell phone carriers that we use for kayaking, Ajas-- NOT zippered, but completely dunk-proof for both cameras and electronics, and if you get something sized for a larger cell, those will definitely work for the Auvi's.

I'm pretty sure that you can find velcro-fastening dry-bags in multiple sizes at someplace like a Dick's.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

ajasfolks2

I've found in store stuff for water/sports right now is slim pickings here -- since it's winter.  I'll likely have to shop online for that.  REI was too crazy for me to venture inside the other day.

Off to look at lululemon, thanks!

Thanks all for the many suggestions.

I'm also going to add reflector tape of some kind to whatever I get if doesn't come already installed.  He is running with winter light on shaded/tough vis roads and trails.  I want to improve that safety situation too.

Geez, I'm such a M-O-M!!

;D

TT

Might be hard shopping for a teen boy at lululemon.  I don't know about a guys' gear but my women's Under Armour often has a pocket inside the waist band.  You might be able to get an old iPhone 4 or iPod neoprene arm band for carrying.  I can't run with a phone on my arm.  Lift; yes,  Run; no.

There are plenty of people that customize holsters (Kydex, leather) for waistband carries. I'm thinking the profile of a single mag pouch would do. If I were male, I'd make really sure whatever or however I carry doesn't do what's called "print" like a concealed weapon.  Like a huge MedicAlert symbol on the outside even if its inside the waist band.

Let me think about this one.  Kydex is good material for inner waist band carries.

ajasfolks2

Am looking at lululemon's men's line of shorts -- wish there were more close up photos of the zipper pockets!  (Like with that zipper open and some idea of pocket size and fabric.

ajasfolks2

Oh, gosh -- TT the suggestion about not appearing to be weapon, I hadn't even thought about that but I should!!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview