login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Airlines and peanuts  (Read 26432 times)

Description:

mmg

Re: Airlines and peanuts
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 01:45:11 AM »
My spouse and I fly all the time-usually United. In fact, I just flew three flights with them in the last two weeks.  I am allergic to all nuts except almonds.  United does not serve peanuts anywhere on the plane.  That includes first class.  When my husband and I fly separately, he flies first or business (both internationally and domestic) and has never seen a a peanut (he has flown almost a million miles on United and I have flown around 200,000 miles with them).  In first, it is a tree nut mix containing almonds, cashews, and another tree nut.  In coach (domestic) they sell a couple snacks that contain tree nuts.  Internationally, they don't hand out bags of nuts.  We have also had good experiences with British Air, Lufthansa, American, Virgin Atlantic, and Jetblue.   My brother and his children are allergic to peanuts and have flown Hawaiian Air many times without a problem.

Have a great trip!

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 12:51:19 AM »
I've flown Delta several times now without issue. They let us preboard to wipe seats, make announcements, and have been easy to work with in regards to my allergy.

ETA: They don't serve peanuts if you ask them not to. Call asap when you make your reservations and tell themt o mark your allergy.

No tree nuts that I've seen, except for prepaid snacks on the loooonnnnng flights, which no one bought and ate in mass quantities, which would have been my concern.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:59:44 AM by SweetandSour »
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Jessica

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »
I've flown Delta several times now without issue. They let us preboard to wipe seats, make announcements, and have been easy to work with in regards to my allergy.

ETA: They don't serve peanuts if you ask them not to. Call asap when you make your reservations and tell themt o mark your allergy.

No tree nuts that I've seen, except for prepaid snacks on the loooonnnnng flights, which no one bought and ate in mass quantities, which would have been my concern.

I think the OP's concern is that if they serve peanuts on other flights (and apparently they do) there would be residue in the air system.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »

I think the OP's concern is that if they serve peanuts on other flights (and apparently they do) there would be residue in the air system.

Ahhhh I see. If it is any consolation, I am extremely reactive to airborne. I haven't had any issue, but if there are airlines that don't serve at all, then that would probably make you more comfy for a flight.  :)
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline nameless

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »

FWIW - I never had airborne issues on non-peanut Southwest flights...the smell bothered me and I'd get sniffly from that. My problem was with contact hives almost every time I flew. Mostly on my hands, arms, or face depending where I touched a surface. I'd also find random peanuts in the seat backs, on the floor, in the seat, etc.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 05:26:07 PM »
DS, when a toddler  and in a car seat, got hives on his tummy--wearing a once piece outfit that snapped under the legs--on a one hour flight on SWA where they didn't serve peanuts. And we had wiped down everything, including the wall and window next to him--even little parts of the arm rest.  In fact, we used a crib sheet on the seat after wiping it down.

Still hives. 

ugh.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
I keep thinking it's a different deal with PA kids than adults. Having to manage through second hand info from an unreliable reporter that REALLY doesn't want a shot. The word maddening comes to mind.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »
Wow--that's true!! At least until they get one during anaphylaxis, and then they know 1) it's not a big deal and 2) that it makes a very fast difference.  But before then--terrified. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 05:33:52 PM »
FYI, United and Continental are in (long, drawn out) process of merger . . . that means code share and equipment share at this point . . . but still "no blatant peanuts" on flights, as per the original UAL set up (began about 1997 or 1998).

The mixed nuts (warmed and served in small porcelain ramekin -- not in packets) I've had in 1st class on UAL have included almonds, macadamia, cashews, and brazil nuts.  Never peanuts.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:34:22 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 07:31:20 PM »
Wondering if UAL transatlantic flights do the warmed nuts thing.

What a nightmare for my cashew-and-peanut-allergic kiddo.   :-/

Faust.    Bleh.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »
We fly American (they do serve tree nuts in first class) and US Airways. 

Because of where we lived, over the last five years we've almost flown US Airways exclusively. If you do this and go through Charlotte, their home, there are some safe options for PA eating-wise.  There's a BK and a Mexican build-your-own-burrito kind of place (like Chipotle, Moes and Qdoba--but not those). Their allergy info was good.

Anything specific re: US Airways?

I'm noting that UAL code-shares with them on some routes.

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »
Also-- does Alaska share equipment with Delta?

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »
Also-- does Alaska share equipment with Delta?

If it's a codeshare arrangement, then YES.  There might be a flight you *think* you are booking on Alaska, but it is really a code share with Delta and on Delta's equipment.  Since I've not flown Delta in nearly 14 years, I cannot tell you what their online reservation system looks like compared to UAL.  (On UAL you will see the flight labelled as being on another airline's equipment and/or shared . . . ).

Hubby not in touch much these days with military friends who went to Delta or Alaska, so I cannot get really good firsthand intel there.

We used to have at least one member here who was close in with Delta crew . . . not sure if she has been here much in past year . . .

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 08:02:33 PM »
Let me just confirm that whatever else is true-- the OP's experience with customer service via United was no fluke, unfortunately.

My experience with them was eerily similar.  Hideous pretty much sums up my two hours of attempted phone recon with some call center that sounded suspiciously as though it might not have been staffed by anyone in the U.S.  (ahem).

While I have no inherent objection to that arrangement, it was awful to have a CSR who clearly spoke English well.... but obviously did not UNDERSTAND spoken English equally well.

It was bad.  Scary-bad.  It made me rethink the wisdom of using UAL for anything-- except... for the fact that I know that the policies and flight crews themselves are better than what I was getting from CSR's on the phone.  I KNOW this because of family who fly United quite regularly-- plus, of course, y'all here.

Western U.S.

Offline yelloww

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »
Anyone flown Frontier recently? They are starting to fly from the regional airport near us this summer.