FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Teens and Food Allergies

Teen Traveling with School: Hotel Concerns and Meals Away

<< < (3/17) > >>

nameless:
Pumpkin oatmeal whole wheat mini-muffins (I have a recipe if you need one) are filling and have good nutrition/protein.  I also have a good oatmeal snack bar recipe (I made coconut/choc chip ones, then pumpkin raisin/craisin ones). I've done those for traveling/conference lunches and supplement with fresh fruit or cut up veggies. Another good filling item is sunbutter whole wheat banana bread (I'll add in mini-chips or coconut to that too).

hard cheese and crackers, grapes, sunbutter banana bagels or roll-ups, applesauce, edamame and blanched snow pea pods w/ soy sauce on the side, cold pizza!  Can you send him with some veggie pizza in a cooler?

nameless:
quinoa cakes (looking for the recipe) --- sticky rice balls?

Mookie86:
ds1 doesn't want the extra weight of ice or even containers, so all lunches are eaten at room temperature.

-- Cereal:  either eaten dry or milk boxes are OK at room temperature
-- Hot dogs:  either in a roll or as Morningstar Farms corn dogs
-- Hummus sandwiches
-- ____ butter sandwiches (sunbutter, cashew butter, whatever he can eat)
-- Frozen squeezable yogurt, and they defrost by lunchtime
-- Wraps of nutella and sliced banana
-- Leftover pizza (it does fine sitting out for a few hours)

Maybe send him with rolls of paper towels to use as a prep. surface and a lot of plastic silverware.  I wouldn't trust his roommates to keep the area PN-free.

Macabre:
He will wipe surfaces with Clorox wipes, which are proven to remove peanut protein. He'll run the dishes through the dishwasher in the suite kitchen. He can prepare his food on a plate.

There are a lot of great suggestions here!

He has to take his suit and several dress shirts, so he may only take a hanging bag with his toiletries at the foot of it. So I wonder about how much he can take with him. Especially already prepared food. Maybe we just need to make site he takes another checked bag. I'm not sure about sending already prepared food in it though. Does that concern anyone else? 

We tend to travel very lightly food-wise as a family and tend to just buy what we need when we get somewhere, so I'm not very familiar with how prepared food travels.

We'll have to test the hummus if he likes that idea. Maybe with a plastic knife?  He doesn't like sesame on buns, but I don't think he's allergic. He would live that tapenade hummus.

He had a Sunbutter bar once. I'll talk with him about those options.

Not that I can expect he will be lucky enough to find MSF products there, but how would a corn dog (I live those) keep?  I find they get soggy. If you've got a way Mookie, please share. Could be useful elsewhere!

Okay, for the banana sandwiches, See the very first confessional post. :) I adore a banana and Sunbutter wrap. :yes: but how would that (or slices) keep for several hours?  I never send that for lunch because I worry about the banana getting yucky. (Same with avocado. I would love to use avocado in school day sandwiches, but u worry about the avocado.)

Much to ponder. Thanks everyone!! Keep ideas  coming!

Mookie86:
I make a banana/nutella wrap at 7:15 am, and ds2 eats it at 11:45.  It keeps fine, for his taste anyway.

As far as the corn dogs, here's the trick to taking them places and not having them get soggy.  Immediately after microwaving them, remove them from the plate and wrap them in paper towels to absorb moisture.  You might need to use a couple of paper towels.  Then, put them on a totally dry plate to cool off.  After they're cooled off, put them in the container/plastic bag how they'll be transported.  Leave open lid/bag until you're on the way out the door so any additional moisture can escape.

I had another idea if he can purchase food there.  Does he eat any of the Yves deli slices or Tofurkey slices?  Those are easy sandwiches.  I have no idea if they're PN free and I can't check my fridge, for I rarely buy that stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version